Should my 7/8 be so thin that the edge flexes?

My wife has given me a Ralph Aust 7/8 (my request) for my birthday. I have just opened it and was getting ready to shave with it before I noticed how thinly ground the blade is. The blade in fact gets thinner as you go back from the edge before it gets thicker again to the extent that the cutting edge flexes. This does not seem right to me and is certainly very different from my hollow ground 5/8 TI. Is the razor ground correctly? The seller's website has no picture of the blade end on so I have nothing to compare it with, and the flexibility of the edge was not mentioned din the description.

sounds healthy - in grinding razors, higher concavity & flexibility is desired, at least among grinders comparing work.

It's a bit easier to obtain from a 7/8" than a 5/8", and generally it is also considered more skillful the more variances of effective diameter are present between the spine's thickest point and the cutting edge terminus.

A 7/8" may have up to 7 different effective diameters over that span.

Also, it is considered to be more difficult to have more space between the thickened point of the hollow grind and the 'rear' (spine-closest side) of the bevel.

Back
Top Bottom