Should i leave it....

..for a month or so?

I'm very new to this 'proper shaving' but i saw on another thread the Merkur Vision, now i want it.

My questions to you Pro's is :

A. Should i wait until my face has accustomed itself to this new ritual?

B. Would an adjustable be of any benefit to me?

C. Sod it, it's a good looking piece and it will look good next to the sink.

Thanks in advance

Hi Swivel,

I always suggest that new DE shavers use the same kit for about a month. This allows then to get used to the process and also get the technique sorted. Once you become confident with this "starter" kit, you can then start to empty your bank account and try different razors, soaps, creams etc.

Ian

I started DE shaving in January and now have 3 razors :oops: the most recent one being an adjustable, a Merkur Futur, to be frank Iought to gave stuck with an non adjustable but couldn't wait either!

I would seriously recommend if you do get one that you leave it set low for several weeks while your techniques improves though.

Regarding the Vision, when I was looking into an adjustable I wanted a Merkur and did a lot of searching on the various forums, it appeared that there were more fans of the Progress and Futur than there were of the Vision.

On balance I would say wait, but patience is a virtue and I'm not very virtuous.

Jeltz said:
I started DE shaving in January and now have 3 razors :oops:

I daren't look at what i've spent in that time, i started de shaving around january and have at least 8 soaps 5 straight razors 2 de razors 3 brushes five hones, it's getting a bit crazy.

I've never used a vision so i can't comment that much but what i have heard is the quality needs to be looked at, i've heard that the heads aren't aligned right on some models but like i said that's what i picked up from nosing through various forums it's probably a rare thing to happen anyway.

Personally id hang on for a bit you will know if you've outgrown a razor that's the time to be looking for a new one, what about a merkur mergress, i think it's beautiful it's a progress with a replaced adjuster knob, meant to make for quite a lovely shave, the futur is another good razor bit of a heavyweight but with a light touch and sharp blades you will be rewarded with very close shaves.

Just take your time whatever you decide to do.

Depends.. If your past your first month or so and are shaving happily, getting good trouble free shaves.. then yea, widen your options and go to town.
Otherwise, stick to your guns and keep your variables small. (i know its a bind..)

Personal experience, i had 3 razors waiting for me by week 2... :roll: But even tho it was tempting i stuck with the HD till i was happy with my technique.
Now, i have.. 30 or more DE's & 20 or more SE's .. i wont even go into how many straights i have in my collection awaiting restoration.

Other things to consider -

1. I don't own one personally , but have seen them up close - The Vision is a Beast of a razor, its absolutely massive. This causes it to be a bit of a pain to maneuver especially under your nose.

2. As said by Jeltz compared to the Progress and Futur the vision gets pretty mixed reviews. It may be pretty but the jury is out.

3. Adjustable .. I can take em or leave em, see im an inveterate fiddler and anything with settings is just an accident waiting to happen. I much prefer 'plug & play' razors.
IMHO if your just starting out, id give adjustable razors a miss for now.

Ok i think i'll wait till i'm 100% sure my face has got used to it, thanks for the feedback guys.

Now what about straight razors.....Good idea or give it a couple more days????? :mrgreen:

Swivel said:
Ok i think i'll wait till i'm 100% sure my face has got used to it, thanks for the feedback guys.

Now what about straight razors.....Good idea or give it a couple more days????? :mrgreen:

I reckon you're ready for a straight!! Get one now and while you're waiting for it to arrive try practising with the lid of a pilchard tin :p

Jeltz said:
Swivel said:

I reckon you're ready for a straight!! Get one now and while you're waiting for it to arrive try practising with the lid of a pilchard tin :p

Is it possible to 'Hone' a pilchard tin lid? :)

Yes you should leave it for now.

Reason: If you don't know your skin and your technique isn't sorted you'll find it impossible to resist changing the settings which will delay your progress.

If you are confident and getting consistently good shaves with your existing razor and set up then go for it.

That would be in an ideal world.

Yeah I would say leave it buddy, I don't know what you have just now but I understand the desire to try new things so if you really can't resist by all means go for it but ideally I would say stick to one razor for the first month or two. You may find your wish list changes as you learn your own preferences.

I've just done a spreadsheet to keep a count on my razor spend :eek:

Personally I think you should try one of each style without worrying if they're mint. You can get a real keeper once you find your best weapon of choice.

(a Gem 1912 for me)

Back
Top Bottom