Shoe Polish

Excellent recommendation. Learned something new this AM.
Learned over the years that the 1st thing many people look at when you met is your Shave and then your Shoes.

I use Renapur Leather Balsam, it's a left over my my other half's riding days. Very waterproof and good for all kinds of weathers.

http://www.renapur.com/content/leather-balsam/

P.S. I don't work for them!

Although parade gloss gives an excellent shine, the problem with it is that it is silicon based (Check it out you can almost peel it off) so continued use can create a barrier and thus dry out the leather over time, increasing the chance of the leather splitting etc. and if you're paying £300 or so for a pair of shoes, then you really ought to be getting as much wear out of them as possible. The best way is to use kiwi polish, plus cotton wool and water (Not spit) and use small circular motions. It's a long process to get the military shine but is worth it in my opinion.

Fido said:
I must clearly pay more attention to my shoes.

And, if you do, so will everyone else. It may even assist in compensating for that unforgettable (& unforgiveable) occasion when the Fido tucked his trousers into his sockies at Golf ! I've never been able to watch the golf scene from Goldfinger since hearing about that without having a quiet smile at the4 thought of what constitutes "ungentlemenly behaviour" at some clubs.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

sorry chaps... kiwi parade gloss is not the sort of thing you should be putting on a pair of well made shoes.

You want to look at the Saphir range of products.

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/saphir-medaille-dor-shoe-polish-100ml?utm_source=google-product-search

they are recommended by Crockett & Jones, Churches and pretty much all bespoke shoe makers. These are substantially better for the leather than kiwi, which in general tends to "seal" the leather, not allowing it to breathe. In turn this dries it out, lets it crack and kills the shoe.

In general, creams are better for a shoe than a polish, but are harder to get a good shine from, so its generally adviseable to clean a shoe off, apply some cream, buff off, and then apply a very very very small amount of polish to shine.

There is an American company Alden, i am not sure who makes their polish but it is the best I have ever used. Being a soldier once I have had the "fortune" of polishing many a pair of boots and shoes. I used to hold by Kiwi, and in a pinch Lincoln. However; nothing compares to this Alden brand.

The cloth matters too. Get a Sylvette polishing cloth. Ebay is your friend here. The one coat of ox blood to five of black is an old army tactic. Though don't do what the guy in the next bed to me in Basic Training did and smear Clear floor cleaner on his Best boots. Great shine but then it rained and his boots turned pale blue. Oh how the Drill Sergeant laughed....:dodgy:

Mud, muck and dust keeps my shoes in top condition, washed off on a rainy day. It's the shine in a person's eyes will tell you all about him or her, not the shine on their shoes. Besides, how are the kids supposed to polish trainers?

Back
Top Bottom