Shaving with an SE Wedge Blade

Now I really need to get my hands around the honing thing. No time for that for a few days but am looking fwd to it.
The Learning is in the Practice..There is an Element of Self Discipline & Focus..You Need a System as a Foundation as I have shown Earlier in this Thread with Related Video's..Follow One Persons System that You can Connect with & Stick to It & You will Find You're Way..

Billy

Last edited:
Day 5 of learning the wedge blade SEs. Today was a switch to my Louis Rasoir. I've always liked the looks of this razor and I've used it before with a modern GEM and shims. I'm still coming up the learning curve but the result was a super smooth face with all the face rubbing goodness that comes with it.

Still a harsher experience that what I'd get with the GEMs but each shave is improving. I'm liking the wedges.

T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
Savile Row 3824
Louis Rasoir
C.V. Heljestrand (3)
60 laps before/40 laps after
T&H Classic After Shave Balm

Karl

Sounding Good Karl..Before You Know it You will be Selling All You're Gem Blade SE s..

Billy

This French 'Tip Top' may be of interest to readers of this thread, I bought it a while ago in a fairly rough state in its original tatty box and seven or so blades.
Sadly only the blade in the picture and one other that has a chip are any good all the others are write offs.
The razor actually has cleaned up well and it shaves pretty well though I'd like to find a few more blades.

Yeah..All these SE Hollow Ground Razors are only as Good as the Blades..It all about a properly Honed & Sharpened blade & that's Why there are Few that Use them..

Billy

Nice One Tom..It can Only Get Better..

Billy

I love the looks of these.
I have picked up a Heljestrand and some blades and I have some SE blades.
I am about to join the stropping club.

Main reason is that I have found a great blade (japanese twins) but the lose edge so quick.
So I am thinking that if I strop every day, that is good, right?

So, my first question is to mix two threads really:
Of the two, SE wedges and SE stropping blades, which do you find one can achieve the sharpest edge?

They are 2 Different Animal's..A Properly Sharpened SE Stropping Blade will Blow a Current Gem Blade Out the Water in Terms of Sharpness & Smoothness & Efficiency..

A Properly Honed & Sharpened SE Hollow Ground Blade in the Correct Hands is Sharper & Smoother again than an SE Stropping Blade..I am Talking of Real Time Shaving Sharpness here..

SE Hollow Ground/Wedge & Stropping Blades might not Feel Sharper to the Touch than a Fresh Factory Blade but in My Humble Opinion a Factory Blade is a Step Backwards on Overall Comfort & Quality of a Shave..This is all Down to the Skill of the Users Honing & Stropping Skills & of Course their Skill in Using the razor..

There is a Gentleman from the USA that uses Hollow Ground SEs & he has recently acquired a Mongoose & a Cobra..I have heard him say that his Hollow Ground Blade SEs offer as Close of an All Over BBS as Both of these Razors..He Sorta Laughs about it..

Billy

Last edited:

Yes I am finding the wedge(hollow ground) to give a supreme shave. Mind you I am only 1 month into wedges but the shaves are as smooth as anything I have experienced.

I also find the shave to be virtually irritation free. I am able to get my trouble areas under my jaw. In fact it is mo longer an issue.

I plan on finishing out this month with my wedges, then return to se stropping blades for a month.

Tom

Hi Tom

That's where these Hollow Ground Blades come into their Own..Comfort is the Operative word here..Factory Disposable Blades are Fine & Dandy but like anything Else that is Disposable there is No Relationship or Attachment that You get with a Natural Steel Blade that you have Honed & Sharpened..

All things Disposable were Thrust upon the Modern World by Manufacturers because they are Cheaper to Produce & Don't Demand Skilled labour..Most Folks are Happy with Instant Gratification & Ease of Use..Convenience Doesn't Mean its a Better Product..Usually the Opposite..

Of Course Most Folks would Rather Watch Football or East Benders than Spend some Quality Time Honing their Own Blades & Reaping the Rewards..

The Irony is of Course that we Live in the Age of Modern Lapping Film & Synthetic Stones that have made the Job of Honing & Sharpening Less Hassle..

Billy

That is so true about people not wanting to take the time to hone blades. I find doing that is so relaxing. Then the satisfaction of shaving with it is icing on the cake.

If I am watching something on the tube. I forget about it 5 minutes after it is over. But honing and shaving with the blade. I remember all day. Even longer if it was exceptional.

I find this all very therapeutic. So Much better than almost anything else.

Tom

Just finished a fantastic shave with my ESF Rapide and Rapide blade (2)

I dialed up the aggressiveness up a tad. There are some scribe lines as to where to set the blade. I moved the blade slightly forward of those. All I can say is WOW this was my best shave yet. Super smooth BBS everywhere. I have only achieved this good of shave one other time. That was with my injector.

i am also very impressed with the soap. It is super slick and easy to lather. The scent is a great added bonus.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk