Shaving With a 1912 The Traditional Way

Did your loom strop have Chrome or Ferric Oxide on it?

The Hollow Ground Blades I Hone Flat the same as an SR..Forget those for a Moment..The Stropping Blades Need a Stropping Handle as I have Clearly Shown or an Auto Stropper..That's it..No Confusion..You Cant Sharpen the Stropping Blades Flat..The Bevel is Set to Suit these Handles..

Those Blades You have Need to Tree Top Hair like an SR..They Might get away with Stropping..Unlikely though because through a Micro Lens the Edge will be Damaged due to Age..The Edge Tip Needs Polished to a Mirror Finish like this One Above I have Sharpened..

The Edge should have Uniform Man Made Lines caused By Sharpening...That Shiny Bit You See at the Left Side of the Edge is the Bevel & if You Look Close it Runs all Along this Blade..The Bevel on these Blades is Tiny & Delicate..That should be Seen by the Naked Eye & Should Shine Like a Mirror..

I Use 0.5 Lapping Film to Polish them or 0.5 Chromium Oxide before going on to Leather..10 Sets at a Time on the C/O & Repeat as Required..Over Do it & You will Continuously Destroy the Bevel..Its a Delicate Learning Curve..NO PRESSURE..A LIGHT TOUCH..Its Not Hard but it Demands Sensitivity & Most Men are as Sensitive as a Hammer..

The Learning is in the Practice..

Billy

Last edited:
Brilliant, thankyou. I was up at half-4 this morning and I've done a bit of reading on the subject now, but, as you say, no substitute for experience (and actually being able to shave with 'em). Now that I look at the older "Star" blades, even they still have a defined bevel. When I get back from Norway I'll have a proper look at both sets and see if they can be salvaged.

Yeah..That's it..The Learning is in the Practice..All the Intel You Actually Need is in that Post Right there..That's all You Need to Know..Getting into Stropping Blades & Hollow Ground Blade SEs is Not a Short Term Fix..The same as SRs..Most Folks these Days want Instant Gratification & Rewards..

That Rules out About 99 % of the Population..

Billy

That's why I got tired of Badger & Blade. Too many folk spreading too much info. You'd ask
"I'd really like to buy a good DE razor for less than 20 quid" and the first comment would be...
"Why not try straights? They're cheaper in the long run...". then...
"Why not spend a little more and get a blah? It's only 20 dollars more and it'll..."

I agree. I think that's probably the best reward of wet shaving, not gratification (tho' it's nice to get a decent shave), but concentration. Everything slows down.