Shaving scenes in movies/series/novels?

Hi! I'm back after such a long time at last. I am growing a beard, so I've been a little unfaithful to my daily ritual. lol

I thought about making this thread because it seemed like fun.

I watched the first episode of The Night Manager and spotted Loki [ ;) ] shaving with a Merkur safety razor I believe. BTW If anyone knows which model it is, it would be interesting to share.

Unfortunately, I can't find the scene on YouTube. So, yes. I don't expect any miracles. You probably haven't even heard of the series. It's not that popular after all.

Plus, I was reading American Psycho the other day and though he gives so many details (specific brands) in his skin-care products and his clothes, he fails to name one brand in his shaving routine which kinda disappointed me. lol

"You can rinse it off or keep it on and apply a shaving cream over it—preferably with a brush, which softens the beard as it lifts the whiskers—which I've found makes removing the hair easier. It also helps prevent water from evaporating and reduces friction between your skin and the blade. Always wet the razor with warm water before shaving and shave in the direction the beard grows, pressing gently on the skin. Leave the sideburns and chin for last, since these whiskers are tougher and need more time to soften. Rinse the razor and shake off any excess water before starting. Afterwards splash cool water on the face to remove any trace of lather. You should use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol. Never use cologne on your face, since the high alcohol content dries your face out and makes you look older."

So, do you care to share with me some movies/series/novel shaving scenes? :)

I watched the first episode of The Night Manager and spotted Loki [ ;) ] shaving with a Merkur safety razor I believe. BTW If anyone knows which model it is, it would be interesting to share.

Unfortunately, I can't find the scene on YouTube. So, yes. I don't expect any miracles. You probably haven't even heard of the series. It's not that popular after all.
It was a MÜHLE R89.
Voila_Capture 2016-07-03_05-11-05_pm.png

Voila_Capture 2016-07-04_10-22-06_pm.png

Voila_Capture 2016-07-04_10-37-31_pm.png

:p

Last edited:
There's a nice shot at the beginning of of William Friedkin's 'Sorcerer' of a Gillette Black Beauty, one of the Guerlain Eau de Colognes and some shaving cream in a red tube that I can't identify. Great movie.

h5NiocQ.png

Tom puts too much pressure in this scene, by the way. I guess it's not a very aggressive razor?
Funny you should say that.
Here is what I had to say on the subject when it was discussed a while ago ↪over on TSD:
riverrun said:
Runny, rubbish lather and too much pressure
Never used one myself, but the R89 is supposed to be quite mild. And I don't think he had a proper, sharp blade in it. :p

Yes, very mild. The MÜHLE R89 was my first razor since returning to DE shaving: a great starter razor, but way too mild for me. I sneakily PIFed it to a young relative who showed an interest in DE.

My wife watched that programme a lot, but strangely enough she didn't mention the shaving ;)

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed. A yellow dressinggown, ungirdled, was sustained gently behind him on the mild morning air. He held the bowl aloft and intoned:

—Introibo ad altare Dei.

Ulysses by James Joyce

I just remembered that there is another one in the third part of Godfather, where Andy Garcia shaves Al Pacino. lol

If anyone could tell me this fancy gold SR's brand name, I would be grateful!

Back
Top Bottom