shaving mugs recommendations

Bought a ceramic bowl with a sort of elongated base which I used to hold the bowl while lathering. I mainly face later and use it now just to hold hot water and to dip the brush. I think I paid a quid for it. The only one I would love to try is the scuttle, but can't find one at a decent price. I read somewhere of using some thermic dishes (or something like that), but haven't done it.

yea thats the one i remember seeing i couldnt find it, i was looking for that one specifically, you reckon its better then the one above your post, the one @hotmetal posted?
Not sure if it's better, but it's a lot larger, the material it's made of is thicker and seems more durable, and rather than those few tall spikes like a stegosaurus's back, it has little nubs in large numbers throughout the interior. They produce a better lather, in my view. The possible downsides are the size, and, unlike the collapsible bowls, it doesn't have a flat bottom, so if you put it on a flat surface with, for example, your brush laid in it, it may capsize or roll over. The multitude of nubs make it a little more difficult to clean out any soap that lodges between or around them and won't wash off. You could end up mixing your very own bespoke soap from the residues if you don't clean it thoroughly.

Oh the power of targeted ads. I'm now receiving ads for those £3.99 silicone cat bowls, marketed as "travel shaving bowls" for £8.59. Seriously I think someone on Ebay has been reading this forum! If it comes up again I might screen grab it as evidence (but then that's free advertising for someone trying to sell me a cat bowl for twice the price, so maybe not!)

hey peeps can i please have some shaving mugs recommendations? thanks
I use a small around metal pie bowl and plastic bowl both bought from bought Sainsburys. They small enough to be held in the hand and work well in creating a good lather.It is easy to spend alot money on fancy shave gear as newbie. . Shaving Station sell good bowls and a plastic scuttles.

Purely out of interest I bought one of these for about £5 on Amazon:
Screenshot_20210510-090845_Amazon Shopping.jpg
What I didn't really look at too closely though were the measurements, oops, I've bought a large(ish) version. Being a relatively big guy anyway I thought 'ah well, lets give it a bash'. So took the thing out this morning, using the OSP/Shave Station Spirit let it bloom while I was in the shower. Got out of the shower, emptied the soap, brush around with my razorrock monster (about 10 seconds) and went to the bowl in which I had left a glug of water (no different to how I deal with the Muhle bowl I tend to use). I have to say it was nuts, after about 5 seconds I had a ton of lather, almost to the point of overflowing (keep in mind the dimensions), another 20 seconds and I had managed to get it stable and thick. Now despite it being the size of a dinner plate I would highly recommend this, or at the very least this format, I may just have to get another but perhaps a tad smaller this time around.

For other available formats though I did have a question for the audience at large, has anyone had any experience with the PAA Travel Scuttle? Perhaps better suited for a different thread but I thought it still fit. In my almost daily perusal of shaving apparel I came across this one and thought it quite novel. I am not necessarily the most delicate of individuals so I am always on the lookout for something that won't end up in pieces on my bathroom floor.

Purely out of interest I bought one of these for about £5 on Amazon:
View attachment 69633
What I didn't really look at too closely though were the measurements, oops, I've bought a large(ish) version. Being a relatively big guy anyway I thought 'ah well, lets give it a bash'. So took the thing out this morning, using the OSP/Shave Station Spirit let it bloom while I was in the shower. Got out of the shower, emptied the soap, brush around with my razorrock monster (about 10 seconds) and went to the bowl in which I had left a glug of water (no different to how I deal with the Muhle bowl I tend to use). I have to say it was nuts, after about 5 seconds I had a ton of lather, almost to the point of overflowing (keep in mind the dimensions), another 20 seconds and I had managed to get it stable and thick. Now despite it being the size of a dinner plate I would highly recommend this, or at the very least this format, I may just have to get another but perhaps a tad smaller this time around.

For other available formats though I did have a question for the audience at large, has anyone had any experience with the PAA Travel Scuttle? Perhaps better suited for a different thread but I thought it still fit. In my almost daily perusal of shaving apparel I came across this one and thought it quite novel. I am not necessarily the most delicate of individuals so I am always on the lookout for something that won't end up in pieces on my bathroom floor.
Thanks for sharing your experience

I need to get one

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I don't like the look of scuttles. It may be just me, but it's not something I really like on my bathroom shelf. I much prefer a relatively small shaving bowl that's easily rinsed out and dried. Maybe I just like symmetry, or probably I'm a bit OCD. :unsure:

Well I've recently bought a QShave scuttle. Kind of like a teapot. Similar to the PAA travel one insofar as you fill the inside full of hot water and the bowl has ridges to help lathering. It's ceramic though, so not as tough as the PAA one.

It's OK. Does what it says, keeps the lather warm if you use very hot water. It's the opposite of the Tardis though: looks big on the outside but a bit tight for space in the bowl (depending on what size shaving bowl you might be used to). Nobody will think it's a police telephone box, and time travel function is lacking, along with beautiful female assistants and robot dogs.

I'm fairly pleased, the warming factor is better than my glass jelly mould, and it does look a bit more legit on the bathroom windowsill! My jelly glass has more space to whip and more prominent ridges (surprise!) though, so is more effective for bowl lathering. Ironically I'm finding now I like to start the lathering process in the bowl but do most of it on my face now - returning the brush to the bowl for somewhere to put it, or 'topping up' rather than attain perfect lather in the bowl then transfer it.

Little Wren Pottery has an Etsy shop and stocks shaving bowls or you can even contact the owner, Victoria and have something like a scuttle custom made to your specifications, her prices are very good also and hand made in the UK. I have a couple of her shaving bowls now and I cannot fault them.

Paul.

Last edited:
anyone use those older antique style shaving scuttles?
the ones which are designed to put in a puck

im asking because i ended up throwing my scuttle away because it had the hairline crack and i cba fixing it, i made a mistake i shouldve offered it on the forums before throwing it away as im sure a bit of glue might have fixed it

anyways im thinking about getting a scuttle because i do really like the warm lather,
only thing is the one i had just got the hairline crack in it, god knows how as i didnt drop t or anything but dont want to get another one just for it break easily you know?

The Steve Woodhead scuttles are first rate and built like tanks. The only problem is that they are very heavy, both empty and filled, and if dropped into a porcelain washbasin, would likely get the better of it, leaving a less-than-perfect basin.

The scuttle I have and like best came from the now-defunct Gallant & Klein. It is a 2-piece scuttle, made, I think, by an artisan potter in an Eastern European country (Rumania, Hungary, perhaps). The removable inner, which can of course be used independently, sits inside the outer, which has a handle and pouring spout. It is light enough to handle with ease, but thick enough to keep the heat. If the water cools, it is quicker and easier to replenish it than it would be with a scuttle with built-in reservoir. The downside of it is that the inner can rattle around a bit when vigorously lathering, but the answer then is to take it out, hold it in the palm (which it fits perfectly), lather and then put it back into the hot-water filled outer.

I have in the past seen others like this, but not recently, and I can't see anything like it on, for example, Etsy.
Gallant & Klein-10944.jpgGallant & Klein-10945.jpg

The Steve Woodhead scuttles are first rate and built like tanks. The only problem is that they are very heavy, both empty and filled, and if dropped into a porcelain washbasin, would likely get the better of it, leaving a less-than-perfect basin.

The scuttle I have and like best came from the now-defunct Gallant & Klein. It is a 2-piece scuttle, made, I think, by an artisan potter in an Eastern European country (Rumania, Hungary, perhaps). The removable inner, which can of course be used independently, sits inside the outer, which has a handle and pouring spout. It is light enough to handle with ease, but thick enough to keep the heat. If the water cools, it is quicker and easier to replenish it than it would be with a scuttle with built-in reservoir. The downside of it is that the inner can rattle around a bit when vigorously lathering, but the answer then is to take it out, hold it in the palm (which it fits perfectly), lather and then put it back into the hot-water filled outer.

I have in the past seen others like this, but not recently, and I can't see anything like it on, for example, Etsy.
View attachment 71883View attachment 71884
that actually looks nice in the red and black combo

first scuttle ive seen where you take the inner part out, i didnt know scuttles come like that too or is that just a one off?

that actually looks nice in the red and black combo

first scuttle ive seen where you take the inner part out, i didnt know scuttles come like that too or is that just a one off?
They're not that common. I didn't look too thoroughly on Etsy as there was one there, from a USA potter Etsy 2-piece scuttle. There's another one here: from Portugal Portugal Online Shop.

Personally I prefer shaving bowls and scuttles to be good quality china or earthenware, and not too thick or heavy. The G&K scuttle fits that bill, as do the Giles Shaving bowls, which are perfect in size, weight and quality. Of course, it's all a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom