shaving mugs recommendations

Purely out of interest I bought one of these for about £5 on Amazon:
View attachment 69633
What I didn't really look at too closely though were the measurements, oops, I've bought a large(ish) version. Being a relatively big guy anyway I thought 'ah well, lets give it a bash'. So took the thing out this morning, using the OSP/Shave Station Spirit let it bloom while I was in the shower. Got out of the shower, emptied the soap, brush around with my razorrock monster (about 10 seconds) and went to the bowl in which I had left a glug of water (no different to how I deal with the Muhle bowl I tend to use). I have to say it was nuts, after about 5 seconds I had a ton of lather, almost to the point of overflowing (keep in mind the dimensions), another 20 seconds and I had managed to get it stable and thick. Now despite it being the size of a dinner plate I would highly recommend this, or at the very least this format, I may just have to get another but perhaps a tad smaller this time around.

For other available formats though I did have a question for the audience at large, has anyone had any experience with the PAA Travel Scuttle? Perhaps better suited for a different thread but I thought it still fit. In my almost daily perusal of shaving apparel I came across this one and thought it quite novel. I am not necessarily the most delicate of individuals so I am always on the lookout for something that won't end up in pieces on my bathroom floor.
Sorry to dredge up a relatively old post, but are you able now to comment any further on whether the large or small size might be better? Did you ever get a small one too? Does anyone else have any input?
(Edit: talking about the collapsible slow-feeder dog bowl)

Don't be sorry I've dug up much older posts than this.

I didn't actually get a smaller one in the end, that one actually did the trick admirably so I didn't bother. To be completely honest it is now sitting stashed in my suitcase as a just in case for travel.

I almost exclusively face lather nowadays, but if I was to take a croap traveling then the dog bowl would see the light of day, otherwise at home they get thrown in the Captains Choice heavyweight bowl.

My only grumble is if you don't whip up all the soap it can be a faff to wash out. I've seen some others with much smaller almost spiky nubs that would probably be better.

OK @Crossan . I'm looking also at the Lickimat Wobble which may be the spiky nub one you refer to.
I'm looking at these rubbery ones because people rave about how efficiently they create lather. I wonder if the difference between them and the more traditional bowls really is that marked...

Thanks for the information (y)

OK @Crossan . I'm looking also at the Lickimat Wobble which may be the spiky nub one you refer to.
I'm looking at these rubbery ones because people rave about how efficiently they create lather. I wonder if the difference between them and the more traditional bowls really is that marked...

Thanks for the information (y)
The Wobble is a more substantial bowl than the small collapsible ones, and easier to keep clean. I like the size, although getting on for about half a junior football, it's a bit of a storage challenge.
Whichever one, these textured silicone bowls do a good job, are quite durable and bounce in the washbasin if dropped, rather than rendering the latter into porcelain shards.

I'm looking also at the Lickimat Wobble which may be the spiky nub one you refer to.
That is precisely the one I was thinking about, couldn't for the life remember what it was called.
The Wobble is a more substantial bowl than the small collapsible ones, and easier to keep clean. I like the size, although getting on for about half a junior football, it's a bit of a storage challenge.
...that was why I didn't look any further into picking one up, just couldn't justify the space it would take vs how much I would get use out of it.

That is precisely the one I was thinking about, couldn't for the life remember what it was called.

...that was why I didn't look any further into picking one up, just couldn't justify the space it would take vs how much I would get use out of it.
Mine has found itself a home in a dim and dusty corner, and the collapsibles are on holiday there as well. They all produce excellent lather, and can't be faulted there. However, I do enjoy my china, earthenware and copper mugs and bowls more; perhaps because they're all individual and hand-made, with their own characters.

Mine has found itself a home in a dim and dusty corner, and the collapsibles are on holiday there as well. They all produce excellent lather, and can't be faulted there. However, I do enjoy my china, earthenware and copper mugs and bowls more; perhaps because they're all individual and hand-made, with their own characters.
I wondered how much these elements of enjoying the craft, design and tradition came into play with people developing preferences. I suspect I'll feel the same if the difference in function/ ease of use between the types being discussed here proves to be less than large.

Well, I have a Qshave heated scuttle that seems to make it harder to get lather! And it developed a crack in the glaze (not sure if just the glaze or all the way!) I think it was a waste of money. I stopped using it and now mostly face lather.

The Lickimat Wobble is much better at making lather, and completely indestructible. And pretty cheap. It is a tad on the large side. Fits in your hand OK but it would be better if it were maybe an inch less diameter. They do a cat sized one as well but that may be too small. The only real downside is that it's got zero decorative or craft appeal. All function and no form. Visitors be like "why is there a dog bowl in your bathroom, you don't have a dog?"

Maybe I should have got a smart MaisyPlum shave bowl with the glass beads in, but they are quite expensive, (especially for someone who usually face lathers), albeit much more desirable than a rubber pet food bowl hahaha!

Well, I have a Qshave heated scuttle that seems to make it harder to get lather! And it developed a crack in the glaze (not sure if just the glaze or all the way!) I think it was a waste of money. I stopped using it and now mostly face lather.

The Lickimat Wobble is much better at making lather, and completely indestructible. And pretty cheap. It is a tad on the large side. Fits in your hand OK but it would be better if it were maybe an inch less diameter. They do a cat sized one as well but that may be too small. The only real downside is that it's got zero decorative or craft appeal. All function and no form. Visitors be like "why is there a dog bowl in your bathroom, you don't have a dog?"

Maybe I should have got a smart MaisyPlum shave bowl with the glass beads in, but they are quite expensive, (especially for someone who usually face lathers), albeit much more desirable than a rubber pet food bowl hahaha!
I have a Woodhead large size scuttle, which is magnificent, except that, when filled with water, I can barely lift it; and I don't fancy the washbasin's chances if dropped. My favourite scuttle, which is a two-tone, two-piece with outer and removable liner, came from Gallant & Klein (alas, now gone), and was handmade by a potter in Eastern Europe, or thereabouts. Its disadvantage is that the inner rattles in the outer, but no matter.

Apart from the Wobble and the other silicon things, I have two Giles bowls, two Woodhead mugs and a bowl, a copper Captain's Choice, a lustreware bowl made for me by Fiona Duckett at Watergaw Ceramics, and a Fine Accoutrements bowl. All of them get a look-in, although my present favourites are the Giles and the Captain's Choice.

There are several excellent makers of bowls, mugs and scuttles to be found on places like Etsy. Quite a few are in North America, with prohibitive shipping and import costs, but there are several UK potters or ceramicists producing lovely articles.

One thing I always look for, and which is sometimes absent in mugs and bowls, is a decently large depth and diameter. I find that anything less than about 11cm diameter at the top and about 5cm deep is too small for me. I use brushes of all shapes and sizes, and what I don't like is a cramped bowl which constrains lathering, and where the brush rattles on the sides all the time.

Having said all this, I'm no purist. If I feel like it, I'll happily face-lather, and will confess to lathering, occasionally, in the soap container, if it's big enough and I'm feeling lazy.

Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts Ferrum. The Qshave would be OK if it had a few bumps but all it has are gentle undulations in the wrong plane. I hate it when the brush bangs the side, and nowadays I prefer to whip it up a bit on the puck and go to my face. There's no luxury or aesthetics with the dog bowls but they're practical when you want a bit of help working the foam.

I have many bowls, my name is Mark and I have a bowl problem. I hardly ever face lather. Some people have many many razors, some have lots of brushes. I have bowls. Being a soft southern Nancy living in Yorkshire I do like a warm lather in The cooler months. A few are:
Lickimat Wobble - perfect size for me and lathers like a champ. Does have a slight rubbery smell though. Still my most used bowl.
Steve Woodhead Mega Bowl - Good size and if you leave it in a sink of hot water it gives you a warm lather. Big, heavy and not clumsy ham fisted oaf proof though.
PAA Travel Scuttle - Keeps lather warm and unbreakable, just wish it was twice the size.
Various cups, mugs and bowls - All too small for me.
Latest Aquisition is a Maisyplum lather bowl - looks amazing, the problem is it’s tiny, I would have to lather with a toothbrush to make it usable.
You can lather in anything but I’ve still to find the perfect bowl. The hunt continues.

Back
Top Bottom