shaving mugs recommendations

OP
saj1985
I haven't bought it yet but this white silicone one might look less out of place in a bathroom than some of the bright colours.

assume large would be the better is the better size to get?

OP
saj1985
I have a couple of the collapsible dog bowls, in rather garish colours, and they do a decent job in lather production, although their main benefit, for me, is that they won't break themselves or anything else e.g. wash basins, if dropped. I have seen remarks from people who collapse them frequently, for home storage or stowage whilst travelling, that they can split on the folds, but if you don't do that often or at all, then I guess the problem shouldn't occur.

However, my favourite dog bowl is the LickiMat Wobble, which, at a magnificent 6.5″ x 6.5″ x 3.1", is almost large enough to wear as a shower cap as well. It's probably good for the dog, too, and the International Orange version is bright enough enough to wake me up on a sleepy morning.
yea thats the one i remember seeing i couldnt find it, i was looking for that one specifically, you reckon its better then the one above your post, the one @hotmetal posted?

also i wonder if they sell these in pound shops like poundland as they normally sell some pet stuff too
Aldi have some in at the moment. I did consider getting one, but I’m a dirty, dirty face latherer so it probably actually would end up as being a dog bowl, defeating the repurposing thing and where’s the fun in that?

OP
saj1985
Aldi have some in at the moment. I did consider getting one, but I’m a dirty, dirty face latherer so it probably actually would end up as being a dog bowl, defeating the repurposing thing and where’s the fun in that?
thanks mate just had a quick look online and it seems the aldi one has a flat bottom on the inside of it instead of those nodules

Bought a ceramic bowl with a sort of elongated base which I used to hold the bowl while lathering. I mainly face later and use it now just to hold hot water and to dip the brush. I think I paid a quid for it. The only one I would love to try is the scuttle, but can't find one at a decent price. I read somewhere of using some thermic dishes (or something like that), but haven't done it.

yea thats the one i remember seeing i couldnt find it, i was looking for that one specifically, you reckon its better then the one above your post, the one @hotmetal posted?
Not sure if it's better, but it's a lot larger, the material it's made of is thicker and seems more durable, and rather than those few tall spikes like a stegosaurus's back, it has little nubs in large numbers throughout the interior. They produce a better lather, in my view. The possible downsides are the size, and, unlike the collapsible bowls, it doesn't have a flat bottom, so if you put it on a flat surface with, for example, your brush laid in it, it may capsize or roll over. The multitude of nubs make it a little more difficult to clean out any soap that lodges between or around them and won't wash off. You could end up mixing your very own bespoke soap from the residues if you don't clean it thoroughly.

Oh the power of targeted ads. I'm now receiving ads for those £3.99 silicone cat bowls, marketed as "travel shaving bowls" for £8.59. Seriously I think someone on Ebay has been reading this forum! If it comes up again I might screen grab it as evidence (but then that's free advertising for someone trying to sell me a cat bowl for twice the price, so maybe not!)

hey peeps can i please have some shaving mugs recommendations? thanks
I use a small around metal pie bowl and plastic bowl both bought from bought Sainsburys. They small enough to be held in the hand and work well in creating a good lather.It is easy to spend alot money on fancy shave gear as newbie. . Shaving Station sell good bowls and a plastic scuttles.

Purely out of interest I bought one of these for about £5 on Amazon:
Screenshot_20210510-090845_Amazon Shopping.jpg
What I didn't really look at too closely though were the measurements, oops, I've bought a large(ish) version. Being a relatively big guy anyway I thought 'ah well, lets give it a bash'. So took the thing out this morning, using the OSP/Shave Station Spirit let it bloom while I was in the shower. Got out of the shower, emptied the soap, brush around with my razorrock monster (about 10 seconds) and went to the bowl in which I had left a glug of water (no different to how I deal with the Muhle bowl I tend to use). I have to say it was nuts, after about 5 seconds I had a ton of lather, almost to the point of overflowing (keep in mind the dimensions), another 20 seconds and I had managed to get it stable and thick. Now despite it being the size of a dinner plate I would highly recommend this, or at the very least this format, I may just have to get another but perhaps a tad smaller this time around.

For other available formats though I did have a question for the audience at large, has anyone had any experience with the PAA Travel Scuttle? Perhaps better suited for a different thread but I thought it still fit. In my almost daily perusal of shaving apparel I came across this one and thought it quite novel. I am not necessarily the most delicate of individuals so I am always on the lookout for something that won't end up in pieces on my bathroom floor.

OP
saj1985
Purely out of interest I bought one of these for about £5 on Amazon:
View attachment 69633
What I didn't really look at too closely though were the measurements, oops, I've bought a large(ish) version. Being a relatively big guy anyway I thought 'ah well, lets give it a bash'. So took the thing out this morning, using the OSP/Shave Station Spirit let it bloom while I was in the shower. Got out of the shower, emptied the soap, brush around with my razorrock monster (about 10 seconds) and went to the bowl in which I had left a glug of water (no different to how I deal with the Muhle bowl I tend to use). I have to say it was nuts, after about 5 seconds I had a ton of lather, almost to the point of overflowing (keep in mind the dimensions), another 20 seconds and I had managed to get it stable and thick. Now despite it being the size of a dinner plate I would highly recommend this, or at the very least this format, I may just have to get another but perhaps a tad smaller this time around.

For other available formats though I did have a question for the audience at large, has anyone had any experience with the PAA Travel Scuttle? Perhaps better suited for a different thread but I thought it still fit. In my almost daily perusal of shaving apparel I came across this one and thought it quite novel. I am not necessarily the most delicate of individuals so I am always on the lookout for something that won't end up in pieces on my bathroom floor.
Thanks for sharing your experience

I need to get one

Top Bottom