Shaving brushes for Dummies

Oh, I lived in Den Haag for three years (my eldest daughter was born there).

Love Holland and the Dutch; like the "taal", too - not as difficult as some claim; speaking easier than writing but basically it's very low German (my mother is Norwegian and my dad Anglo-Saxon so Dutch is not so different . . . .)

BTW, I've just taken up fly-fishing: my brother took me out last Tuesday for the first time and it was far easier than I'd feared it would be; he left me a rod and reel and box of flies so I took myself off up the river on Sunday and had a great time. I've yet to actually catch anything, mind, but that's not the point . . . .

Rev-O said:
Oh, I lived in Den Haag for three years (my eldest daughter was born there).

Where? My family is originally from The Hague (my mother from the old part of the city, my father from a late nineteenth century neighborhood.

Love Holland and the Dutch; like the "taal", too - not as difficult as some claim; speaking easier than writing but basically it's very low German (my mother is Norwegian and my dad Anglo-Saxon so Dutch is not so different . . . .)

Hah, don't say that out loud in Holland ;-); but yes, there are definite similarities between all those languages. I can read Danish and Norwegian, with some effort, and especially if I know something about the general subject that I'm reading about. If you consider Frisian, another language (some would call it a dialect...) of the low-German linguistic group, there are even more similarities between English and the Scandinavian languages.

There's this famous Frisian saying that goes something like this:

butter, brea, en grehne tsjese, wie da nei sizze kan is genne echte Frese

You can probably see what the first part means (butter, bread, and green cheese), and it actually sounds almost like English...

BTW, I've just taken up fly-fishing: my brother took me out last Tuesday for the first time and it was far easier than I'd feared it would be; he left me a rod and reel and box of flies so I took myself off up the river on Sunday and had a great time. I've yet to actually catch anything, mind, but that's not the point . . . .

SO where do you go, which river?

Henk

henkverhaar said:
If you consider Frisian, another language (some would call it a dialect...) of the low-German linguistic group, there are even more similarities between English and the Scandinavian languages.
Old Frisian is generally regarded as the closest relative to Old English, a fact which will no doubt be familiar to all you philologists out there. :geek:

Hi Henk

I lived in Mariahoeve and Bezuidenhout but worked in Archipelbuurt, where I was a priest at the Anglican Church. (Mooi buurt!)

I fished up on a local river, nice wide bend. I know there's brown trout there but nothing bit . . . yet!

Email coming re soap

God bless

Ollie

Back
Top Bottom