Shaving brush

Hey all ,

I have being using the same shaving brush for the past couple of months .(cheap Wilkinson sword one I got in the supermarket).

Just wondering how often should I change them and any recommendations ?

Many thanks,

Martin

Depends on what it's made of (synthetic, badger, boar), but it should last for a couple of years at least. Time to change is when it has so few bristles that it's useless, or you see another that you like, or you get bored with it.

As for replacements, you're spoilt for choice. Have a look around the various vendors, some of whom are sponsors here and you'll get an idea of what's available, and at what prices. There's plenty of information and discussion in the "Shaving brushes" section of the forum.

You'll get hundreds of recommendations but everyone has their own preferences, loft, knot shape, natural v synthetic, backbone, splay, handle shape, colour etc.
Firstly you need to decide why you want to replace it. There's no need unless it's shed so much it doesn't work, but lots of us just like trying different brushes to see where our preference lies.
Somewhat oddly, amongst the 5 or 6 that I have, I find myself reaching for the Yaqi Moka Express synth, even though I've got a Simpson best badger and other boars, badgers and synthetics. I was surprised by this as I really only bought it for the shape and colour of the handle, being a coffee nutter. But it just feels right and lathers nicely. My heart says why big up a mass produced Chinese bit of plastic when you have classic British, or nice wooden handles. But it just suits me. It's nice to change it up a bit too, some days are boar days, sometimes I like the big floppy PAA phantom aero, but 4 days out of 7 I grab the Moka. I think if you are in the mood for a new brush, there are many to try at low price points.

I used to buy the Wilkinson Sword brushes but found that they shed hairs very quickly and after a few of months they had to go in the bin. For the past couple of years I have been using a few different brushes but mainly a Simpson T3 (favourite) and a Yaki R1730 Sagrada Familia. I also have a 'Benny's of London' brush which is small but great when travelling. All are synthetics and none have lost any hair since I bought them. Neither my Simpson or Yaki brushes show any signs of needing to be replaced and are still in great shape and I shave daily so should go for some time yet. At the moment if I felt the need to buy any further brushes it would be for variety only and we all know how that ends .

Back
Top Bottom