shavette questions

D

Deleted member 12673

hello prople so i like the look of that focus slim one but one thing i want to understand is that,
are shavettes all the same as in they dont come mild or aggressive like de/se razors as in its all about the person who handles it and their technniques?

i did want to go down the straight razor route but i got so many de blades and i dont know how to even hone a razor so shavettes seem like the logical and easiest step for me to take imo

there are the few shavettes (see pic below) i have a also the kamisori style shavettes (dont know if thats the correct term!),
anyways i was wondering is there any shavettes you can recommend at all?

1621710158830.jpg

All shavettes are kinda different you have the de blade type. The Dovo type that take different types of blades and the artist club type..personally I would recommend the artist club style whether folding or non folding feather do the ss and the dx the ss being the milder of the two but you can also change the aggression using different blades either guarded or mild, pro’s and super pro’s that all protrude differently also Kai have 2 different types similar to feather one milder and one more aggressive. The other option I think is the CJB I think it’s called not as expensive as feather or Kai and also check out eBay they do a copy of the feather ss folding that’s inexpensive. Hope that’s of some help

Here’s the milder Kai similar price to feather ss

thanks for replying @Olie29

those similar feather ss straight razors in the second link look nice, like the colours

ive noticed the blades on the AC style ones look wider then the standard de blades too

I was just about to write that very same thing, I agree with Jay on the recommendations but it won't help you use up your DE blades. They take the feather/kai type injector efforts. Wider and slightly thicker so more rigid so probably a better straight razor emulator.

thanks for replying @Olie29

those similar feather ss straight razors in the second link look nice, like the colours

ive noticed the blades on the AC style ones look wider then the standard de blades too
Haha as Marc says they won’t help with using up the DE blades but they are a much nicer shave..the longevity on the artist club blades is great too you can get 15 shaves off a blade maybe more

If honing was the only thing putting you off the straight route you don't necessarily need to know how to hone. You can easily get others to hone and just maintain with stropping and/or pastes.

Obviously I'm not telling you to go down that route as it is a dark and dangerous warren. If you're set on shavettes (1/2 DEs) then the aggressiveness is probably more determined by the blade that you use (just an opinion might be talking rubbish).

Edit: but I think you are right the majority will likely come from technique, I know I got some crazy burn the first time I tried to use them

Haha as Marc says they won’t help with using up the DE blades but they are a much nicer shave..the longevity on the artist club blades is great too you can get 15 shaves off a blade maybe more
yea might be better for head shaving too hvaing that bit of wider blades too

yea might be better for head shaving too hvaing that bit of wider blades too
I don’t head shave but in all honesty straight and shavette shaving is all about going by feel..do you watch shave&butcher on YouTube he recently did his first head shave with a straight razor go check out his video, it will be a learning curve might even be an idea to practice without a blade in at first just to get a feel for the angles ! Might be worth looking into straights too..I can’t hone a razor and I shave with a straight everyday, I would like to learn but you do need to have time and patience. Might be worth weighing up both options first but definitely check out that video you should find it helpful

I did just see one in the shavette of the day that looked interesting. The Tedalus Essence, oddly it looks like it somehow takes half DEs and Injectables type blades. It isn't released yet and I obviously have no first hand experience, but if it does use all the blades might be worth a wait
View attachment 70333
Looks nice, yea might be, any idea when it's out?

Looks nice, yea might be, any idea when it's out?
The post indicated a few weeks, it was posted by @Snuff so should hopefully be able to offer more solid info (if they are able and don't mind).

If it's a solid performer and doesn't cost a second mortgage it's one I would actually consider (I'm only going on apparent flexibility with blades and looks at this point though).

I have one of these in Cerakoted finish, a brilliant shavette, it takes AC, Injector and Half DE blades.
There are a full range of spare parts available and it shaves like a dream.
Oh nice, didn't realise this was already a thing, just goes to show what I know. Sounds like a better option than the one I mentioned, especially if that one shaves like a dream!

I had a bit of a Google and apparently there are only going to be 333 of those Essence Razors and they're going to be approximately €300. It might be nice looking but that's a hefty gamble when something considerably more affordable is already proven.

Listen to the expert and ignore me!

Edit: Chris and sons here in the UK seem to have a decent selection with different scale options (and seem like they're reasonably priced at £60 delivered) if that was a route you took.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom