shavette problems

My goal at the moment is to achieve a very smooth finish from my shaves.

I've progressed from a DE to a shavette, although I'm not shaving my whole face at the moment. This morning's shave left me with a longish vertical graze and a horizontal slice sort of in-line with my eye.

I'm wondering, since I hadn't realised that I'd done either of these at the time, should I be using a cut throat rather than a shavette? Am I being generally haphazard or is it normally to scratch yourself whilst using these? Are they too sharp?

If I should instead be using a cut-throat where would be a cheap-ish place to get a ready to use model?

One of the reasons for choosing a shavette was partly due to fear in slicing my face whilst shaving or my hand whilst stropping!

Thanks

Well, a shavette is harder to shave with than a cut throat, they´re much more forgiving.

I think you should PM Neil Miller here and ask if he has a bargain starter blade for you and then buy onë of his starter strops, you can´t bet the value you get from such a set up from Neil. http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/

eneville said:
I've progressed from a DE to a shavette,

I'm not sure that could be classed as progress, in my opinion.

What Mikael says is correct, straight razors cut you a bit more slack than a shavette or a Feather AC razor. I have tried shaving with straight razors and they didn't work for me, but, apart from the odd nick, I didn't really get cut.

The Feather AC (which I have just sold) has left me with a line on my chin which was done about 3 weeks ago.

So, it's back to DE's for me.

Ian

IanM said:
eneville said:
I've progressed from a DE to a shavette,

I'm not sure that could be classed as progress, in my opinion.

We, by progress, I'm mostly talking in terms of adventure perhaps.

IanM said:
The Feather AC (which I have just sold) has left me with a line on my chin which was done about 3 weeks ago.

Well, at least I'm not the only one, I've caught myself a few times now, mostly they tend to be be the same, but the thing that gets me is I never know I've done it until I see the blood... I never really feel it. I'll probably just be going back to the DE for a bit...

Agree with Mikael & Ian, I've been shaving with a straight for around 5-6 months now, it's almost second nature. (almost!) I've used shavettes, the xd20 and the Dovo (see my reviews)

I find the shavette is usable once you've got your straight technique down pat, it would be akin to using a very sharp straight. Straights are indeed more fogiving, and easier to handle.

Subject: Review: Dovo Shavette

Subject: Review: Sanguine XD20 Shavette (a.k.a: Yellow Peril)

In other words, shavettes are not for beginners in my opinion. (but that's just me..)

Max

Back
Top Bottom