SHAVETTE Of The Day

It's still STR8 Tabactober for me and I've got a new whisker-removing tool:

sotd_225.jpg

It's very light and nimble albeit less assertive than my other half-DE driver (Chinese 'kamisori'). Quick 2-pass DFS ensued.

shavette-of-the-day-2.png

Tabac
AP Shave 26mm cashmere knot waiting for a handle
Bluebeard's Revenge shavette

Look a little closer...

bluebeards-revenge-50mm-blade.jpg

Although this is a Parker-style swinging arm designed for half-DE blades, some other types of blade also seem to fit. This is a 50mm Feather Pro Super.

After using a straight razor for a little while, I've found I much prefer a milder edge v the scary-sharp half DE blade in a shavette. Although a mild edge can feel a bit scritchy it's MUCH more forgiving and a much more relaxed, enjoyable experience.

So I thought I'd experiment with Feather AC-style blades. Satanfriendly very kindly sent me a few to try out :) and the results have been very promising so far.

First couple of shaves with the Feather Pro Super were very sharp. The plus side is the blade just glides effortlessly through stubble with very little resistance. The down side is the usual shavette feeling of shaving with a razor full of very angry bees which will sting you at the slightest provocation.

After that it became noticeably milder and at about shave number 7 it started to feel "scritchy", just the way I like it ie there's a feeling of resistance to the blade as it cuts hair - but it still cuts OK. Today was shave number 9. Would be nice if it will last another half-dozen shaves before it becomes too blunt.

Also in the sample pack are Schick Proline, Kai Captain, and Kai Captain Mild. Will report back as I get the chance to try them out.

------------------
Note: The blade won't fit on the pins inside the shavette but friction alone seems to hold it in place just fine. I'd recommend placing the front of the blade just behind the round point of the shavette and let it overlap at the heel, as in the picture (safer). YMMV.

Last edited:
Your SOTD pictures were a major inspiration, I have to admit :)
Which blades do you prefer with it?
I'm still on the fence which half-DE driver I like better. So a handful more of shaves with this blue beast is due.
To be honest I find them (I will confess to owning 3 and I am afraid that your blue one looks very nice as well!) very blade friendly. More expensive blades just last longer. I enjoy the Treet classic carbon blades a lot at the moment (very smooth) and it is the only razor I can use a Kai in and they last forever!

close-shave.jpg

Feather-style shavette
Feather super pro blade
Arko
AP Shave Co Cashmere, still.. ahem.. waiting for a handle
DIY aftershave (peppermint & lavender essential oil & alcohol)

New shavette arrived today and.. wow! A really close single-pass shave. Same blade I'd been using in my Bluebeard's Revenge shavette, today on its 15th shave. Maybe the geometry of this razor affected my technique in some subtle way. The area under my lower lip is BBS with just one WTG pass!

This is a no-brand Aliexpress model. From the outside, not an exact copy of a Feather design, as far as I know. I couldn't say how closely they've copied the blade holder mechanism or if they've done their own thing.

Really nice shave though with a well-used, mild blade :)

Back
Top Bottom