Shavette Help

I've recently bought myself a Parker SRX.

20230129_111948.jpg

Not used a shavette for years and years. Previous experiences weren't great, but I wasn't using decent soaps or techniques back then.

Think I've got a decent understanding of products, my beard and face, technique and preparation etc. I get really good rests from my DE razors, usually in two passes.

I've used this SRX a couple of times now, and although the end rest is a close shave it feels almost like I'm using a blunt blade. I'm using a Shark SS, just like in my DE razors. My initial WTG pass doesn't seem to remove as.much as my R41 does, so my next pass (ATG) seems to catch a bit as its having to get through more growth.

I think that perhaps I'm being over cautious and going to shallow WTG, not getting enough of an angle to shave close - maybe because of my experiences of old.

Just after some thought from those who use similar razors please.

I'll be back using my R41 until the weekend. That's when I have more time to try and refine the technique..

Thanks..

So, I decided to stick with the SRX for the next couple of shaves. A new (half a Shark SS) DE blade and a couple of changes:

Steeper angle
Razor soaked in cold water instead of warm
Using left hand as well as right hand
The initial WTG pass was partly across the grain instead of straight down
Second pass against the grain was also slightly across the grain
A final tidy, and.......

The best shave so far from this razor. No blood. Very close. Smooth.

But, it still feels less smooth than the same blade in an R41. It just seems to pull a little instead of slicing cleanly.

More practice needed I think....

Last edited:
I'd suggest trying different blades. sharks don't work well for me in a shavette and you might find another blade makes a huge difference. I finished a box of 100 pre cut half blades so definitely gave them a good chance but I could only get one shave out of each blade and get much better results with different blades. it's not a great idea to change many variables at once but give it a try and you might be able to eliminate the blade being the challenge. and perhaps you can return to sharks after getting more familiar with using the shavette itself. I'd still use a shallow angle but increase to wherever is cutting.

I'd suggest trying different blades. sharks don't work well for me in a shavette and you might find another blade makes a huge difference. I finished a box of 100 pre cut half blades so definitely gave them a good chance but I could only get one shave out of each blade and get much better results with different blades. it's not a great idea to change many variables at once but give it a try and you might be able to eliminate the blade being the challenge. and perhaps you can return to sharks after getting more familiar with using the shavette itself. I'd still use a shallow angle but increase to wherever is cutting.
Thanks for the useful advice..

Unfortunately it's off to a new home.....

The angle for shavettes is usually around 25 degrees and try to keep the lather slick but thin
I experienced the same as @OrangeSport - uncomfortable dragging.
I have found that over-hydrating the lather to the point of it being almost but not quite 'runny' allows the blade to really glide, without feeling at all tuggy or dragging. It's a game changer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom