Shave Sticks

I use in my rotation in SOTDs.. 32 shaving sticks ...

1. Taconic URBAN WOODS
    usa_bandera.png
  2. SCHEERZEEPSTAAF de De Vergulde Hand
  3. ORIGINAL , de LEA
  4. LA TOJA (formulacion actual)
  5. EASY SHAVING de Perfect Shaving
  6. GIBBS (1930)
  7. Taconic BAY RUM
  8. CLASSIC, de Palmolive UK
  9. VALOBRA
  10. GAL con Alantoina (de 1960)
  11. ARKO
  12. CLASSIC , de Palmolive ( formulacion de 1940)
  13. AGED SPICE, de Mama Bear
  14. SPEICK
  15. SANDALWOOD (The Old Bond Street)
  16. ST JAMES (The Old Bond Street)
  17. Dr HARRIS ALMOND
  18. ERASMIC
  19. MORE FOR YOU
  20. DERBY
  21. TABAC
  22. Dr HARRIS SANDALWOOD
  23. IRISCH MOS
  24. BLACK CODE de Mama Bear
  25. Dr HARRIS ARLINGTON
  26. WILKINSON
  27. BRUTE de Mama Bear
  28. BUCKTHORN MUHLE
  29. LA TOJA (formulacion 1960)
  30. EASY ( formulacion 1930)
  31. SHAVE STIK de BarberUpp
  32. ULTRA SLICK de Pacific Shaving Company
An extensive list there fella, well done

Had my first use of a Speick stick yesterday and must admit I was blown away for the price of them. First off to my nose the scent is much nicer than Arko, Tabac or MWF which are the kind of soaps I was comparing it to in my head.

Applied a bit directly to my face and started to lather using a synthetic brush. After a couple of minutes lathering and adding water I had one of the most dense lathers I can remember, I was surprised how much water this soap can take. It felt fantastic and to be honest as good as my B&M soaps which are mainly what I use these days.

Performance was good as well, maybe not quite as slick as B&M but my face felt great after I'd finished. This is by far the best experience I've had with one of the "cheaper" soaps and unlike the others this one will stay in my rotation.

Speick is superb, the stick is rock hard and I've found it's really easy to overload. I've found by applying a bit less and using a bit more water, and losing a bit of lather density for slickness leads to a lather that performs better in the shave, but as ever YMMV.

Speick is superb, the stick is rock hard and I've found it's really easy to overload. I've found by applying a bit less and using a bit more water, and losing a bit of lather density for slickness leads to a lather that performs better in the shave, but as ever YMMV.
Yeah I think I applied double the amount I needed because the soap is so hard I couldn't tell how much was coming off the stick. Definitely a great soap though.

1. Taconic URBAN WOODS
    usa_bandera.png
  3. ORIGINAL , de LEA
  6. GIBBS (1930)
  7. Taconic BAY RUM
  9. VALOBRA
  11. ARKO
  14. SPEICK
  17. Dr HARRIS ALMOND
  18. ERASMIC
  19. MORE FOR YOU
  20. DERBY
  21. TABAC
  22. Dr HARRIS SANDALWOOD
  23. IRISCH MOS
  25. Dr HARRIS ARLINGTON
  26. WILKINSON
  27. BRUTE de Mama Bear
  28. BUCKTHORN MUHLE
What are your thoughts on Taconic's Bay Rum scent, compared to others available? Looking for smth of the kind to add into rotation.

This thread and the Tabac "Five Alarm Fire" thread has got me to using some of my old LaToja, Arko & Palmolive sticks the past week or so and I have to be frank that as regards latherabilty & shave quality (discounting the PSF nonsense) these are really benchmark soaps. Ain't no fancy smell, but damn they do the job they were designed for perfectly!! (y)

This thread and the Tabac "Five Alarm Fire" thread has got me to using some of my old LaToja, Arko & Palmolive sticks the past week or so and I have to be frank that as regards latherabilty & shave quality (discounting the PSF nonsense) these are really benchmark soaps. Ain't no fancy smell, but damn they do the job they were designed for perfectly!! (y)
Yep! All under-praised.

I keep a string of classics in: Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword, Arko, Derby, Erasmic (Tallow), Speick, LEA & Vie Long (Tallow LEA). They're all grated into tubs so I can lather on the soap, which I prefer. I also have some vintage which I've left in stick form: Rolls Razor, Ever Ready (also sold as Essesse) & Boots (which I think is Palmolive, although it's more lavender than modern Palmolive).

Whenever I take a run through them, it's Derby and Wilkinson Sword that stand out for me. That, and the Rolls Razor soap which is like fresh linen billowing in the breeze, clean and fresh.

1. Taconic URBAN WOODS
    usa_bandera.png
  3. ORIGINAL , de LEA
  6. GIBBS (1930)
  7. Taconic BAY RUM
  9. VALOBRA
  11. ARKO
  14. SPEICK
  17. Dr HARRIS ALMOND
  18. ERASMIC
  19. MORE FOR YOU
  20. DERBY
  21. TABAC
  22. Dr HARRIS SANDALWOOD
  23. IRISCH MOS
  25. Dr HARRIS ARLINGTON
  26. WILKINSON
  27. BRUTE de Mama Bear
  28. BUCKTHORN MUHLE
That is some serious collection,didn't realize there were so many out there tbh

What's your top 5? In terms of smell and slickness etc

I think successful stick use depends on the amount and type of stubble acreage you have at the time of shave. By that I mean if you have a fairly full beard with more than a day or twos growth you can easily rasp off enough soap for a decent lather. If you just have a few chin scraps, a tash and extended side burns it can be more difficult.

I have a reasonably full beard but if I shave on consecutive days (not often) I can struggle on the second day because basically I'm still a bit too smooth to lay off enough soap. There are plenty of ways around that of course but that's what I find so I'm not surprised that folks like to grate their sticks into a puck as it makes for far greater consistency.

I think successful stick use depends on the amount and type of stubble acreage you have at the time of shave. By that I mean if you have a fairly full beard with more than a day or twos growth you can easily rasp off enough soap for a decent lather. If you just have a few chin scraps, a tash and extended side burns it can be more difficult.

I have a reasonably full beard but if I shave on consecutive days (not often) I can struggle on the second day because basically I'm still a bit too smooth to lay off enough soap. There are plenty of ways around that of course but that's what I find so I'm not surprised that folks like to grate their sticks into a puck as it makes for far greater consistency.

Or, the ratio of soap to beard will be dependant on the length of beard divided by smoothness of cheeks times hardness of soap/cream minus the first number you thought of. :unsure: :)

Tried it yesterday evening and I now see what people mean by "easy to over-apply". You think you've hardly got any on your face until you hit it with a wet brush, and disappear behind a wall of lather! A unique and pleasant smell too. For balance, I did use Tabac splash after! I like them both!

Back
Top Bottom