Shave of the quarter

Three months ago I decided to not shave or trim any part of my face for three months. I love to wear a clean shave, and I quite enjoy the morning ritual, so for me this was an execise in self discipline: make your own rule and stick to it.

The last few weeks I have been adding Captain Fawcetts moustache wax to the moustache, simply to manage it away from most of the food and drink.

This morning was the end of three months, and I gladly shaved all off. I had a small break before removing the moustache. I wanted to see how that thing looked on me without the beard. It had to be very good in order to stay, since quite frankly I find it more of a chore to wax and keep the moustache than a 20 minute shaving routine every day. In the end the moustache went.

After the shave I was left with a feeling of real achievement. And surprisingly I noticed what the feeling I had been carrying during the last three months was. I could not pin it down during the experiment, but now it was crystal clear: Indifference. And unfortunately this indifference had been allowed to spread to many other areas of my life during this period. I'm happy it's over.

Tools used:
NF Tubby1
DR Harris Marlborough Soap
A Gillette Old for getting rid of the long hair (works exceptionally well with no clogging)
An EJ DE89 Barley for the rest of the shave
DR Harris Windsor aftershave

Here are the transformation documentation including the moustache:

Full growth

Where is my sombrero?

Ãœber Clean

/Max

Amazing transformation and like you said, a good exercise in self discipline.

I started scrolling through thinking "He'll regret it, thats a good beard that suits him" and on the last picture all those thoughts left. You suit a clean shave bud.

Now you know what the whole experience is like, how long do you think it'll be before you do it again?

Alex

Thanks all. I've gotten about ten "you look ten years younger" from facebook as well, so I'll take that at face value.

I had one second thought halfway through, but it was planned. It was in regards to whether or not to keep the moustache.

I think it will be a good few years before I grow a beard again. My wife likes me in beard, but very much dislikes the un-kept look I was sporting sunday morning. If I grow a beard again, I will definately trim it shorter. If for nothing else just to keep caring about how it actually looks and avoid the feeling of indifference. That has set me some back in many life areas over the last three months.

/Max

From Richard Dreyfuss in Jaws to a moustachioed Ewan MacGregor look -alike then finally to your clean shaven self. I'd have kept the 'tache too but only as I love handlebars and can't really grow one. Grand experiment!

Gairdner said:
From Richard Dreyfuss in Jaws to a moustachioed Ewan MacGregor look -alike then finally to your clean shaven self. I'd have kept the 'tache too but only as I love handlebars and can't really grow one. Grand experiment!

I love handlebar moustaches as well, and think it could be OK, give it a month or so more.

Only it was very much more faff than shaving with a straight, and that went too. Just too much work in the 'tache for me.

/Max

Back
Top Bottom