Shave of the day w/c Saturday 10th October 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday

B&B Essential Brush
Real Shaving Co. Shave² Cream
1958 Gillette British TV Special
Bluebird (2)

First cream shave for ages... every bit as good as Creightons' other output (ie. Trumpers, Taylors & Trufitts) at a fraction of the price (£1.29/150ml compared to £6/75ml for Taylors)

• Semogue 620 Boar Brush
  • Irisch Moos Shaving Soap Stick
  • Palmera 14
  • «O Melhor» After Shave Balm/Milk
  • 444 After Shave Balm[/list:u]

sotd121009.jpg

Tuesday

Trumpers Coral
Merkur HD w/ Merkur (1st use)
Trumpers Rose
Silvertip Badger
Alum Block
KOS SPF8 moisterizer

Crap shave, must concentrate only on the shave rather than everything else going on today, treat shave time as a little den of quiet.

(Seeing consultant/surgeon again today, 4th visit after failed knee surgery earlier in the year to try and find a way to get me walking properly again, and hopefully back to running. When I say "failed" I mean the surgery went successfully on the day but I'm worse than I was before it :cry: )

hunnymonster said:
Monday

B&B Essential Brush
Real Shaving Co. Shave² Cream
1958 Gillette British TV Special
Bluebird (2)

First cream shave for ages... every bit as good as Creightons' other output (ie. Trumpers, Taylors & Trufitts) at a fraction of the price (£1.29/150ml compared to £6/75ml for Taylors)

I really like the Real Shaving Co. Shave² Cream too, begining to prefer unscented creams and this is as good as any and better than quite a lot of big name brands.

Aqueous
Omega Boar
MWF
Lord Platinum, with added lead tape
Gillette Super Thin
Givenchy Pi AS

Now the lead tape has given the razor a bit of heft, I'm loving the Lord :lol:

Tuesday. 13 Oct.

Merkur HD
Merkur Blade (day 3)
ToBS (MR T) Cream
EJ Pure Badger

Proraso ASB

Another workday shave. 3 Passes (W, X & ATG) plus touch-ups.

Very good result, if anything better than yesterday. The Merkur blades, which are very good in my HD, seem to get better as they get worn in. I usually get 4 good days from a blade but with the reckless abandon for which we Northumbrians are famed (but only if day 4 is still good ;) ) then the fifth day will be tried on Thursday.

The ToBS whips up a terrific lather but I have to say that do prefer the more basic (nostalgia, perhaps?) application of Erasmic, WARS or Palmolive creams.

Tuesday

Futur
Gillette 'Swede'
Simpson's Best Badger Special
Erasmic Shave Stick (Tallow)
Blue Stratos a/s

The Blue Stratos scent seems quite modern compared to Old Spice and Tabac, but it stung more than any other a/s I've ever used!

Ian

Tuesday

Monsavon shaving soap (thanks to PC)
Kent BK4
Mühle R89
Harris Pink
Harris milk

Wednesday

Musgo Real cream
Shavemac custom finest
Mühle R 89
Musgo Real AS

Wednesday

Trumpers Coral
Merkur HD w/ Merkur (2nd use)
Proraso
Silvertip Badger
KOS SPF8 moisterizer

Second poor-ish shave out of this blade so it's gone. Hope I get more like the first merkur out of this pack, 5 shaves all better than the two out of this blade!

[...] I've used various creams and ASs but not yet tried them with soaps.

Similarly, I have only used them with the beefy HD; it may be worth using a much lighter razor like a Lord or a Tech to see if there are any cause /effect changes. [...]

Following this entry I posted yesterday I thought I'd better do something about it...

Tuesday 7pm.

Lord (L6?)
Palmolive Soap Stick
Wilkinson Brush (I know, I know)
Merkur Blade (day 1)

Proraso ASB

Lo and behold it went very well. Usual 3 passes and Robert's your mother's brother!

Wednesday 7am.

Merkur HD
Erasmic Soap (Bowl)
EJ Pure Brush
Merkur Blade (4)

Nivea Sensitive ASB
Tabac AS

Again, very good. Will go for day 5 with the HD equipped blade tomorrow. Rather pleased with them.

However I agree completely with all other fellow shavers about the unit cost; as good as they are, for the price, I'd be reluctant to shell out on a volume buy. That said if a fifth day is still good then the price has effectively been reduced by 20%. That could be a game changer over an extended period but only time would tell and that would mean buying more to test the theory.

Happy days, eh?

:shave
BS

Wednesday

Stick week marches on...

Futur
Gillette 'Swede'
Simpson's Best Badger Special
Palmolive Classic Shave Stick
L'Occitane Cade a/s splash

I think the Cade scent is the favorite of all my a/s splashes, and typically, it's probably the most expensive :roll:

Ian

Oct 14, half past five.

Received a shipment of Astra Keramik blades from Paul. Replaced Red Personna blade in my Futur with a new Astra blade. Major difference. No more Red Personna's for me -- they are as of now relegated to my fly tying den...

To complete the list of tools:

Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Astra Keramik
Prep: hot water
Soap: funny you have to ask... #4 of course
Brush:
_MG_0959_lzn.jpg

A/S: Nivea balm -- creating my own A/S balm is my next project...

Henk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom