Semogue prices

Now there's an interesting thing for economists among us. (I'm not one of them) The popularity of the Semogue brand continues to grow rapidly. And now the price of two of the best sellers: the 1305 and 2000 rises significantly. Now is this a case of supply outstripping demand? Or application of the principle of charging what the market will bear? And what effect will this now have on future sales?
Whatever. Good luck to everyone involved. Semogue have certainly generated an internet following through clever marketing, it's a great brush and good value even at the higher prices. But there is a lot of lower end competition out there so I hope they have got their new prices right.

I had no idea that they had done any marketing at all - I thought contributors to the various fora had done it for them.
There really does seem to have been a severe outbreak of "Hog Fever" on the boards recently.
Let's just hope they (Semogue) are not just being greedy.
This does of course not detract from the product.

Ooh, that is a bit of a hike. With postage it looks like it will be around 50% more than I paid a few weeks ago. Don't know if currency rates have changed. It still represents good value though, but I wonder it some people will think twice about buying now.

It will soon be time for us to abandon our pound and join the Euro.....if they would let us in.

'Lights blue touch paper and retreats'

looks like i was the last to get the old prices then :cool:

1520 & 2000 on the way
the 1305 was out of stock at the time :roll:

did a bit of reading and apparantly the Semogue's have thicker hair and denser knots than the Omega's

chicken neck said:
The 1305 does look very nice indeed. I have an Omega 49. Has anyone used both models / brands and can make a comparison? Admittedly, the Semogue is a lot prettier!

I have a Pro 48 and a 1305. The 48 is just massive. Way too big. It's like trying to shave with a paint brush. It is soft though and lathers well. I find it unwieldy. I don't know how people control this monster, let alone face lather with it.

I think the 49s are a bit smaller. I'm not sure of the loft size of the 1305 vis. 49.

I'm still evaluating my 1305. While I find it's a great brush for the money, I don't feel it's going to replace my badger any time soon.

As a first brush for a beginner on a budget though, it's a steal.

John

John

Don't be afraid to abuse your boar! You can splay it a bit on your face to build the lather more and give yourself a bit of a massage. Also, I recommend you dip into hot water again AFTER soaking it just to maximise the heat in the brush (as you say it does not heat for long)

David

chicken neck said:
John

Don't be afraid to abuse your boar! You can splay it a bit on your face to build the lather more and give yourself a bit of a massage. Also, I recommend you dip into hot water again AFTER soaking it just to maximise the heat in the brush (as you say it does not heat for long)

David

That's just what I do. Bung it in hot water while I shower then run it under the hot tap and shake before loading it up. I have still used my EJ Best Badger for creams thinking it would be better but :shock: I don't think I like the feeling of it on my face any more. I much prefer the firmer boar brush. I've said this in another post but it somehow feels more manly, as well as giving the feeling of really getting the lather in to all the knooks and crannies as it massages my face. Plus I used it with cream this week and it lathered absolutely brilliantly! :shave

Going back to the original subject, although the handle isn't the prettiest thing, I still think the 1305 represents very good value for money.

The Semogue boars do seem to have stiffer bristles than the bigger Omega models.

John, my 1305 took about 20 shaves to break in, the bristles split on the ends......The lower part of the bristle stiffness is still there.

Be careful with the handles, mine got knocked into an empty sink & a chip of paint came off the bottom. Prior to varnishing it, the colour of the handle wood?? would leech out.

fozz77 said:
Be careful with the handles, mine got knocked into an empty sink & a chip of paint came off the bottom. Prior to varnishing it, the colour of the handle wood?? would leech out.

Yes this is what happened to my brush in transit to my good friend Sir Prize. I 'mended' it by applying a little clear-setting glue over the damaged area. Varnishing sounds a better solution but my brush is fine now.

I just checked the past orders on my account and the last order I placed for the 2000 was:
Semogue 2000 Shaving Brush €11.95

And he's now selling them for €17.95.

Looks like a few more sites are starting to stock them, I've noticed them on a new Irish site as 'coming soon'.

Back
Top Bottom