selling str8's on BST

My apologies if this isnt the right place to post my question..please feel free to move it if need be..

As some of you know I am from Southern California USA..I am seriousely considering selling very well condition..in fact near mint condition razors with little work needed to make them 100% usable..though If some of you do purchase them from me..I was told Paypal can change the currency from British Pounds to USD in to my account..Paypal confirmed this with me...I just wanna make sure this makes sense when I start selling em to you guys here in the great place of Europe and UK

Thnx!
Blades

So if I sell razors for $100 USD here..if you get a package I sent worth 18BP or more YOU get tax'd to receive it?..I just wanna clarify

Blades

Blades said:
So if I sell razors for $100 USD here..if you get a package I sent worth 18BP or more YOU get tax'd to receive it?..I just wanna clarify

Blades

If you write on the Customs Declaration that the item inside the package is worth more than £18 . . . yes we get charged Tax on it - and the Post Office add on an admin charge for a laugh.

And if someone was to write on the packaging of a $100 razor that it was actually worth £15 that would be very, very naughty indeed!!! So I'm sure that never happnes :p

Blades said:

Blades

In round numbers... $100 = £60

So we'd get charged 17.5% VAT on that £60 + the postage charge... that's usually less of a problem than the next bit, you know all's fair in death & taxes...

The £8 handling charge from the Post Office... so around £20 to pay at the doorstep for delivery.

I'm not sure whether the law has changed, but the tax used to be calculated on the cost of the item declared on the customs form plus the cost of shipping, so a value just under the threshold could go over it quite easily when the shipping cost is added. One of my packages from the States came to a combined value of £37 recently, and I was charged £32 to release it from customs, a significant portion of which was a laughable "processing" fee (something like £17 in this case)!

Regards,
Neil

The way it should work (according to more than one HMRC leaflet I've read on the subject) is that anything entering the EU that is declared as less than EUR22/GBP18 comes in unimpeded and uncharged. Anything declared at EUR22/GBP18 and above attracts the charges and the postage is taken in to account then...

The problem is that for non-UPU postal services - like DHL/FedEx/UPS/etc - they want to charge as many people as possible because their fees are so much higher generally than the PO (although DHL have a minimum charge lower than the PO's flat fee), and it's easy money - especially when most people won't challenge it because they don't understand it.

hunnymonster said:
The way it should work (according to more than one HMRC leaflet I've read on the subject) is that anything entering the EU that is declared as less than EUR22/GBP18 comes in unimpeded and uncharged. Anything declared at EUR22/GBP18 and above attracts the charges and the postage is taken in to account then...

The problem is that for non-UPU postal services - like DHL/FedEx/UPS/etc - they want to charge as many people as possible because their fees are so much higher generally than the PO (although DHL have a minimum charge lower than the PO's flat fee), and it's easy money - especially when most people won't challenge it because they don't understand it.

Yes - that's probably it. I was left a docket and I had to phone to pay the charge. It wasn't the Royal Mail, but one of the ones you referred to.

Regards,
Neil

andyjreid said:
Or you could just post them out and mark them as a gift. Who is to know any different?!?

HMRC only allow the double bubble for "gifts of an anniversarial nature" at their discretion. If they think it's taking the piss, they will apply the normal level. It only applies to the lower £18 tax-free limit and not to the £105 point where they also start charging duty on top as well.

So if someone were to paypal me 100 pounds then Paypal turns that into USD for example..I insure the item for $10USD..could this be a workaround for that "at your door tax"?..or is there NO way around it?..interesting..same thing for my wifes grandparents in Israel..I wanted to send em some sugar free chocolates from the states..damn country tax would charge em for that at their door to receive!

Blades

hunnymonster said:
Blades said:

Blades

In round numbers... $100 = £60

So we'd get charged 17.5% VAT on that £60 + the postage charge... that's usually less of a problem than the next bit, you know all's fair in death & taxes...

The £8 handling charge from the Post Office... so around £20 to pay at the doorstep for delivery.

Geez, the miserable things you go through just to claim a package. I feel for you gents. I once sent a buddy $400 worth items and sure enough as luck would have it he got it in one piece. Let's just say he much preferred to have taken the loss than pay customs the silly charges by having me declare a value of $30.

Now I can see why a vendor like Vintageblade and even some ebayers don't ship worldwide. It's their loss but at same time reckon they feel the migraine from mishandled packages and what not isn't worth dealing with.

Worse case scenario had my buddy not received his items he would have lost $400 worth of stuff less he filed claim with Paypal and thus my account would have been debited and I'm out $400.

For me I'd like the sender and buyer to feel protected. But here it seems the receiver of said package has more to lose.

It´s not funny if it happens. I bought a Friodur large one from an US vendor and when tax and fees from the post was through I had paid through my nose to get it. It´s a lovely blade but I´m never gonna come close to get back what I payed for it, in total, if I decided to sell.

Back
Top Bottom