Seen the light

Hi all. My name's David, and I'm about six months in to the DE safety razor experience after a few years of using Clean Shaven's cartridge services to trim a bit off the exorbitant mainstream prices. To say it's been a revelation is an understatement! I started with the Shave Factory TTO setup, with Arko soap and Derby blades, but it's been a slippery descent already into trying different things out. Numerous sample razor packs have been purchased (Gillette 7'o clock green and Voskhod are faves so far) and I also purchased a Lord L6 to try out. Not sure about that one, but maybe I need to give it more time. I've got Cella Soap on order, Gentleman Facecare Club Sandalwood cream in the cupboard and a couple of others I'm waiting to press "buy" on! It's fair to say I'm not going to save money moving from a cartridge razor, but I will be spending it in a more enjoyable way! Any suggestions on affordable must-buys appreciated.
I've also purchased a couple of vintage Gillettes, which I'll post in another forum as I could do with confirmation of year/model etc. (unless anyone thinks I should attach them to this thread?) They've been cleaned up ready to go, and will be trialed over the Christmas break.

Anyway, looking forward to learning and experiencing more of the wonders of this forum in the near future.

what he said :rolleyes:
Yeahhhhhhh, I realised fairly quickly that the "it's pennies per blade" money saving mantra, would be overtaken by "ooh, new soap/balm/brush!" I mean six months in, do I need four razors? I suppose "need" is subjective - especially when I've picked up a couple of vintage pieces for less than the price of a pack of Mach 3 blades!

That RAD (Razor Aquisition Disorder) BAD & SAD can get outta hand very quickly.
I have over 70 razors and enough soap and blades to see me into my wooden overcoat.
Its settled now but each time I think about reducing the den, I use the razors selected to go and then enjoy them so they stay.
Try and keep it real, after all, a razor is just a blade holder - not ;) .
T

Hi all. My name's David, and I'm about six months in to the DE safety razor experience after a few years of using Clean Shaven's cartridge services to trim a bit off the exorbitant mainstream prices. To say it's been a revelation is an understatement! I started with the Shave Factory TTO setup, with Arko soap and Derby blades, but it's been a slippery descent already into trying different things out. Numerous sample razor packs have been purchased (Gillette 7'o clock green and Voskhod are faves so far) and I also purchased a Lord L6 to try out. Not sure about that one, but maybe I need to give it more time. I've got Cella Soap on order, Gentleman Facecare Club Sandalwood cream in the cupboard and a couple of others I'm waiting to press "buy" on! It's fair to say I'm not going to save money moving from a cartridge razor, but I will be spending it in a more enjoyable way! Any suggestions on affordable must-buys appreciated.
I've also purchased a couple of vintage Gillettes, which I'll post in another forum as I could do with confirmation of year/model etc. (unless anyone thinks I should attach them to this thread?) They've been cleaned up ready to go, and will be trialed over the Christmas break.

Anyway, looking forward to learning and experiencing more of the wonders of this forum in the near future.

LOL, yeah the Shave Factory TTO setup, with Arko soap and Derby blades was the deal that started my addiction!! dam you shave factory :ROFLMAO:
Welcome :cool:(y)

Welcome to TSR .
The Shave Factory TTO looks like a decent razor.
The 7 O'Clock green from India (Permasharp) I hear are better than the Super Stainless from Russia.
I've been really surprised with the Shave Factory kit. It certainly seems forgiving in my limited experience. The Lord L6 I bought seemed much "harsher", whereas I've had a decent shave with every blade variant I've put through the S.F. Could be my lack of angle adjustment or something, but I definitely prefer the S.F. I'll compare them both to my recently purchased vintage Gillettes over Christmas!
I've been using the Russian greens, and I've got Indian yellows to add to the rotation. Looks like there's another blade to add to the shopping list when I order the next sample run (Dorco and Personna on there so far)

Back
Top Bottom