Second hand straight razor

Hello. I bought a second hand straigt razor off e bay and am in process of getting the razor looking shiny and new. But once I've got it in really sparkling condition should I send the razor off to a honemeister ?- if anyone has used thier services please would you pass thier details to me - or should I use my Shapton 1k, 5k, 8k and 12k ceramic stones to hone the blade myself-so far Ive only honed one razor in my life and the blade was a bit harsh on my face. Finally if I hone the blade myself Ive seen Youtube video which shows tape being used on the spine . Do I need to use tape or can the honing be done without tape?Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Cool! If you're starting from scratch then tape is optional although the reason it's used is to prevent hone wear on the spine. You can use Kapton tape or insulation tape. If you were only refreshing an edge that had been previously done with tape it's best to use tape to keep the angle the same, although even then, the difference in angle a single layer of tape makes must be minuscule.

I would say if you've shaved with a straight enough to know if it's technique or the edge that's giving you a harsh feeling then you should probably have a go at doing the hone yourself. That assumed there are no major problems with the geometry to correct. Then if you're still unhappy, send it out. There's another thread asking similar right now so you may find some responses there too.

Back
Top Bottom