SE v DE What's the benefits?

So I have multiple DE razors. No SE razors.
What are the benefits of a SE razor over a DE?
And could you make your own SE simply by lopping off one side of a cacky DE just for laughs?
That is exactly what I did. Was sent an extra RazoRock Mission by mistake and they told me to keep it. As I have a huge number of half DE blades for the shavette I ground one side off and turned it into a SE travel razor. Can sometimes be fiddly putting the blade in but with the handle modified into a two piece (made this handle out of aluminium as a 13 yr old on my father's hobby lathe as I prefer long handles). Working a charm these last few years. The threads on the handle will fit vintage Gillette and modern razors, also can use the bottom part separately as a short handled razor or together for long handle.

Attachments

• 20210215_130122.jpg
    20210215_130122.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210215_130058.jpg
    20210215_130058.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210215_130024.jpg
    20210215_130024.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210215_131231.jpg
    20210215_131231.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 9
Since getting my Blackland Vector SE, I only use my Above the Tie DE occasionally.
The blades I use with my Vector are Feather Pro Super with the grain, and Schick Proline P-30 against the grain.
The shaves I get from using my Vector and those blades are BBS with virtually no irritation, although I use short strokes with very little pressure.

Since getting my Blackland Vector SE, I only use my Above the Tie DE occasionally.
The blades I use with my Vector are Feather Pro Super with the grain, and Schick Proline P-30 against the grain.
The shaves I get from using my Vector and those blades are BBS with virtually no irritation, although I use short strokes with very little pressure.
Do you change the blade halfway through your shave or do you have two Vectors?

You use two different blades for with and against the grain. Interesting. Does anybody here use two different razors while shaving for the same reason?

I use two DE razors with different blades when shaving. I use a RazoRock Stainless BBS with a Astra Platinum for most of my shave WTG and then change to a Feather razor with a Kai blade to shave ATG on my throat plus cleanup.

Would you own a car that would take you to work but wouldn't bring you home???

No, I wouldn't!
But I might use a different tool
for a different job.....

And sandpaper
comes in different grades.....

And.... Ummmm.... Wood.....
Different kinds of wood.....
Ummm.... Come from trees.....
And..... Ummm.... Different trees....
Have bark.....

And this is how we know the Earth
.....is the shape of a Bannana!

Attachments

• 310x229_montypythonholygrail.jpg
    310x229_montypythonholygrail.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 7
No, I wouldn't!
But I might use a different tool
for a different job.....

And sandpaper
comes in different grades.....

And.... Ummmm.... Wood.....
Different kinds of wood.....
Ummm.... Come from trees.....
And..... Ummm.... Different trees....
Have bark.....

And this is how we know the Earth
.....is the shape of a Bannana!
Defective.

Defective.
It seems to me that a common thread runs through most topics pertaining to shaving; that shaves are subjective; everybody has a favourite method, or methods of preparing, everbody has a favoured blade & razor, or a selection of them and everybody gets subjectively differing results from differing combinations thereof. So I'll stand by a different tool for a different job!

I don’t always use a feather pro super with my Vector when shaving WTG, I sometimes use a Schick P.30 for both directions, I also occasionally use my DE razor when shaving ATG, however I no longer shave ATG with a feather pro super because I found it a bit too aggressive in that direction.
The thing I never do though when shaving is try and rush, which is probably why I very rarely get cuts/nicks.

When people talk about blades being 'aggressive', exactly what do they mean?
It’s another one of those semantic whirlpools. I never understood it; in terms of blades or razors. Personally, I look at razors in terms of efficiency. If a razor and blade combination mow down and reduce my bristles quicker and leave me smoother than another, then I would describe it as ‘efficient’. Others may prefer the ‘aggressive’ label.

It seems that razors such as the Mühle R41 and some iKon models get tagged as ‘aggressive’ in the sense that they may cause blood letting more quickly than others, if care isn’t taken. As to ‘aggressive’ blades, I couldn’t say. It’s all subjective: some blades work better in certain razors for certain folk at certain times.

Back
Top Bottom