SE knowledge base?

Anyone interested in helping put a guide to SE razors on TSR?

I've searched the net but haven't found anything comprehensive. The wiki on B&B has a lot of gaps. There's also a Spanish one which is interesting but not complete.

I'm planning to include the following for each model of SE razor:

Manufacture dates
Pictures
How to use
Model specific shaving tips
Scanned documentation

What do you reckon?

You should PM everyone who has posted in this section, and ask them if they would contribute to the data base. I think you will find there is a lot of knowledge here already within the membership.

Major concern about the Ever-Ready 1914. I've written before about safety concerns with the 1914. This has just been increased by my receipt this week of a 1914 in what initially looked to be in very good condition! In it's original case and with the straight edged attachment. But after what was to be just a soak in barbicide, I noted that this 1914 was constructed differently from the other one that I had. This one had side notches that were pressed or bent out of the sides of the base rather than the spring type strap that my other 1914 had. The side holds on this razor were completely USELESS with the available SE blades . So on this model there total lateral movement. Not safe! More problems with the bottom 'stops' have to call these stops because again with current SE blades they just don't hold the blade in a consistently safe way.
Based on seeing the differences that exist in the 1914's I really have to say WOW! Think Twice Before Using this razor ! It's not the 1912, and in no way is it a better 1912.
It's not meant to be used with current blades.

Johnus - would you be able to post pictures of your two 1914s? I'm interested in the differences between the two typesand could put this information in the knowledge base.

From what I have read, the 1914 and 1924 were both designed to use "Radio Steel" blades, which are slightly larger than the modern blades. I'M NOT 100% SURE THOUGH.

However it's easy to make a shim out of plastic or card that holds a modern blade securely in place. I have tested a few alternatives, and the brown card that cones wrapped around modern blades works well!

Will try to post the pictures this week. I've tried to collect each of the SE types since the 1912 and it didn't make sense to me why they would make the 1914 so incompatible. It's almost as if there was a branch of the tree that they tried to develop that didn't go any where.

Johnus said:
Will try to post the pictures this week. I've tried to collect each of the SE types since the 1912 and it didn't make sense to me why they would make the 1914 so incompatible. It's almost as if there was a branch of the tree that they tried to develop that didn't go any where.

Lol don't know what it is about gem/ever ready, but I've been tying to collect the whole range too!

Anyway, look forward to the pics.

What you have just been saying about the 1914 might well explain why I found it such a horrible shave after the 1912, could not even complete the shave to be honest.
Mind you I now only shave with the O/C Gem Micromatic, for me the perfect razor. One word of warning if the blade is not located under the 2 end notches very bad shave ensues. Has happened to me once, first pass ok next pas W.T.F. grabbed my reading glasses and found the blade was resting on top on the 2 lugs, re positioned the blade and all was well with the world. Trust me you only make that mistake once, avoided blood loss though I am pleased to report.
Regards,
Pete

man of leisure said:
What you have just been saying about the 1914 might well explain why I found it such a horrible shave after the 1912, could not even complete the shave to be honest.
Mind you I now only shave with the O/C Gem Micromatic, for me the perfect razor. One word of warning if the blade is not located under the 2 end notches very bad shave ensues. Has happened to me once, first pass ok next pas W.T.F. grabbed my reading glasses and found the blade was resting on top on the 2 lugs, re positioned the blade and all was well with the world. Trust me you only make that mistake once, avoided blood loss though I am pleased to report.
Regards,
Pete

I also have been that man, Pete. So you're not alone in having experienced that type of misalignment by any means. Still, it's a mistake I'm going to make sure I never repeat !

JohnnyO. \:mad:

Quick update: I'm still working on this.

The pressures of work and an 8 month pregnant wife are taking priority at the moment though!

Back
Top Bottom