SE Curious

Paul L

Chief GOW
After shaving with DE razors for around 10 years or so, I'm wondering if SE razors is something I would like to explore.

The only SE's I've used are a 1912 (which I couldn't get on with at all), and a YaqI Katana, which for me is much easier to use.

I like the look of the RazoRock Hawk V3, and I think the mild plate SB version would be the best of them as I don't appreciate a lot of blade feel.
I've had a look around, and UK stock seems to have been snapped up.
Any idea of any UK suppliers with stock, anyone?

I've read some reviews on the forums etc, but what's the long term opinion of the SB Hawk V3 ?

After shaving with DE razors for around 10 years or so, I'm wondering if SE razors is something I would like to explore.

The only SE's I've used are a 1912 (which I couldn't get on with at all), and a YaqI Katana, which for me is much easier to use.

I like the look of the RazoRock Hawk V3, and I think the mild plate SB version would be the best of them as I don't appreciate a lot of blade feel.
I've had a look around, and UK stock seems to have been snapped up.
Any idea of any UK suppliers with stock, anyone?

I've read some reviews on the forums etc, but what's the long term opinion of the SB Hawk V3 ?
I would recommend the A plate which is alleged to be aggressive , but I find that not to be the case. You can always use a mild or guarded blade if you have problems.

An excellent razor for the price and possibly the cheapest way in to a good SE razor. I find the stainless V3 a far more assertive and positive shave than the the aluminium Hawk. Which is in passing a great razor but with shortfalls once you've tried the stainless.

Would you like to loan a couple of SE's so you can find out for yourself why they rule the roost? Just send me a PM.

An excellent razor for the price and possibly the cheapest way in to a good SE razor. I find the stainless V3 a far more assertive and positive shave than the the aluminium Hawk. Which is in passing a great razor but with shortfalls once you've tried the stainless.

Would you like to loan a couple of SE's so you can find out for yourself why they rule the roost? Just send me a PM.

Thanks for the kind offer, Tony

I'm in the throws of buying the Hawk

I've got the Hawk in my shopping cart, but I'm not sure which blades to go with?
I can't help thinking guarded blades might be the way to start?
Opinions welcome, please chaps
Which plate have you gone for. If the mildest Feather Pro or Schick Proline.A Plate is OK with Schick or Kai CT Mild Pink.
I would possibly go middle of road with Schicks if they are available at Connaughts.

Which plate have you gone for. If the mildest Feather Pro or Schick Proline.A Plate is OK with Schick or Kai CT Mild Pink.
I would possibly go middle of road with Schicks if they are available at Connaughts.

Hi Mike

I went with the standard plate, on the grounds that if I found it too aggressive I would only sell it on.
I'm hoping it's going to be delivered today, and can't wait to get to use it.

Hi Mike

I went with the standard plate, on the grounds that if I found it too aggressive I would only sell it on.
I'm hoping it's going to be delivered today, and can't wait to get to use it.
Hi Paul,
I think that you may find it quite mild so may need a fairly aggressive blade such as a Feather Pro. I assume that you may have ordered some. In the past i have got feather blades from modern man shaving at very good prices.
If you find the standard plate too mild, I can let you try an A plate and Kai Pink and Feather guarded Blades.
Mike

From my personal angle I would probably start with a Kai Captain which is very much a middle of the road blade.

Upping the ante a bit my preference is the Feather Super Professional and think they sit towards the top of the tree it terms of sharp but I do find them extremely comfortable.

If you want to trial any blades just ask and they would be on their way

Thanks for your thoughts, and the kind offer Chris

@Boycie83 has sent me some blades to sample too. They should arrive in tomorrow's post, and I'm collecting the razor from the sorting office in the morning, so I'm saving my whiskers until then !

Thanks again Chris

Ah, but I am not looking to sell you something

Back
Top Bottom