Scottish Bothies

Am planning a car camping trip to Durness for a couple of nights. My car camping kit is going to seem quite nostalgic - Force Ten Classic tent and Trangia stove. Though great design will stand the test of time. I want to visit Cape Wrath lighthouse. My late father was stationed there for two weeks when he was a supernumary keeper.

@patw - thank you for your compliment. That is indeed a lovely picture you posted. It illustrates an unfortunate truth about Scottish landscape photography - the best light is to be found - 1) just before 2) during or 3) just after a storm or heavily changeable weather. Great for snaps - bummer if you are the guy with the camera. I have taken pictures in many places around the world over the years - both professionally and personally - but there is something really special about the light in the Highlands. Particularly in Spring and Autumn. Low angled, modelling light that throws the contours of the landscape into sharp relief. See attached - again copyrighted images - cheers - I.

The last time I was camping was at Durness, in a Vango F10 cooking trout on the Trangia stove caught from the limestone lochs. That was 20 odd years ago...and seems like yesterday

High qualitiy and professional made photographs. My deep respect. Never been in Scottland but this images makes me want to visit this country one day.

Last edited:

The thing that's always baffled me about the TGO Challenge is not the idea of backpacking across Scotland - that's a great idea - but who in their right mind wants to do it at the same time as a bunch of other people?