Sci-fi books you must read....

+1 on the Rama series. Fantastic writing and I revisit often. I'm also a fan of Cradle (also with Gentry Lee) and Songs of Distant Earth.

Modern Sci-Fi is going through somewhat of a renaissance. I heartily recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Aurora' and Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. Both are long but very rewarding.

I listened to both in an audiobook format, otherwise I'd lend to anybody interested.

+1 on Cradle and Songs of Distant Earth. Thanks for the signposting on Aurora and Seveneves...

We by Russian writer Yevgeny Zamyatin (1921). The novel describes a world of harmony and conformity within a united totalitarian state.

This is the grandfather of the futuristic dystopia literature. Highly recommendable.

It's been a while that folks posted here, reading all, it is a bit like my (real paper) book library before i sold the best ones, and gave away the rest of my almost 2000 books collection.
My -go back to- all time favourite, Dune, i read it again when i am ill, or in hospital and such.
At the moment, and boy is that a looooong moment, i am hooked on Military SF, Amazon is keeping my wallet level rather low, last years count went above 250 books.
Series are my specific reading taste, fortunately there are lots and lots of them. to name some good ones?

The Four Horseman series
Cartwright's Cavaliers (The Revelations Cycle Book 1)
by Mark Wandrey

Aeon 14 Series, a good place to start:
Aeon 14: The Intrepid Saga #1-3
by M.D. Cooper

Honor Harrington series, skip book #10 as it is a bad apple if you are not deep into political backstabbing and such.
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington #1)
by David Weber

Vorkosigan Series
Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga #1)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Longknife series
Mutineer (Kris Longknife #1)
by Mike Shepherd

It is just a drop of water in the list off what i have read, and what is already in my tbr pile

Special mention for me is a series by Will Greenway
He combines about anything from SF, to Fantasy, Horror and Mythology, mixes in scenes like the best of Anime (no not the dirty kind) and very, very much action driven stories. This is the first one (Fantasy based to start off with) where you meet some of the main characters.
Shadow of the Avatar (Savant's Blood #1)
by Will Greenway

I could go on for another hour or some such with naming stuff i love and have loved, Heinlein, Asimov, Niven, Herbert....

Another special mention,
Snow Crash, wow what a rush, i love that one!

I do hope i have given readers among us some new lines to follow, have fun, i know i had, and am still having :D

2CBF0F21-77D1-457D-89C8-C3204A82E0B6.jpeg

...took a risk on this one. Originally Hugh Howey self published chapters on Amazon. The book is engaging, entertaining and worth the read although a little patchy in places. The premise is strong and has believability...recommended...

If it's Sci-Fi you're after the the series SF Masterworks is where it's at.

SF Masterworks is a series of science fiction books started by Millennium and currently published by Gollancz (both being imprints of the UK based Orion Publishing Group).

It began in 1999 and comprises selected pieces of science-fiction literature from 1950 onwards (with a few exceptions). The list was compiled by the managing director of Orion Books, Malcolm Edwards, with the help of "leading SF writers and editors" and the goal of bringing important books back into print. The list was described by science fiction author Iain M. Banks as "amazing - genuinely the best novels from sixty years of SF".

i'd just like to add a wonderful set of books by Stephen Donaldson called the Gap series
i personally couldn't get enough of them.
5 in the series i think lol it's an age thing also an old classic of short stories is
Arthur C Clark of time and starts

Calling all sci-fi heads.

The classics:

Ian M Banks "consider Phlebas"
Alfred bester "the stars my destination"
Greg Bear "Hull three zero"

Trash sci-fi but I love it:

James Axlers "Deathlands" series.

What's yours?

Jack Vance - Durdane Trilogy
& Planet of Adventure (Tschai)

Ian M Banks - The Culture Books

James S. A. Corey - The Expanse
(Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck)

.....I like big book sequences
& universe building!

Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy
Brave New World
Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451
Speeches by most politicians (or is that more fantasy?)

That's a good, varied selection!
All absolute classics!
Read them as a Teen & loved them.

... Apart from Fahrenheit 451
just couldn't get into that one.
Or the film of it.

Speeches by politicians?
Fantasies.... or delusions!

;)

After hearing Philip K Dick's UBIK described as one of the greatest books ever written by a commentator I enjoy listening to and also reading several times how prophetic and multi-layered the book is and that we are currently living in a world imagined by him decades ago I purchased same and queued-up the book on my Kindle...it joins a long que :)

1610733964341.png

Heinlen, Simak, Cordwainer Smith, Aldiss, Azimov, Clarke, Blish, Neil Asher, Fred Pohl, Alistair Reynolds, Poul Anderson, Philip K Dick, Jack Vance, Robert Crais, Bernard Cornwell, Michael Moorcock, Robert Parker, Graham Masterton..... I've been realy lucky as a reader; the local libraries were good and my favourite bookshops were too!
These days I use Kindle or similar to read.
Oh. There are so many favourites.
How about The Long Earth?
Any steppers out there?

Back
Top Bottom