Schick E 1

It arrived and here are a few photos of this rare gem!! Honestly, I don't think this thing was used hardly at all and it even had an old injector blade sans the holes/notches as the earliest ones did!! :eek: I soaked it in dish soap and lightly scrubbed away the small verdigris spots from the blade areas and then soaked in 70% rubbing alcohol for maybe 15 mins. and Q-Tip scrubbed any slight remaining detritus. It appears practically mint!! :love: Evidently, Mr. T. Ingerman (whoever he was, R.I.P.) did not use this hardly at all. First shave report incoming.

gmbrVFi.jpg

8XfAgsd.jpg

LYHMF4H.jpg

a0HphsW.jpg

1x0c1gw.jpg

It arrived and here are a few photos of this rare gem!! Honestly, I don't think this thing was used hardly at all and it even had an old injector blade sans the holes/notches as the earliest ones did!! :eek: I soaked it in dish soap and lightly scrubbed away the small verdigris spots from the blade areas and then soaked in 70% rubbing alcohol for maybe 15 mins. and Q-Tip scrubbed any slight remaining detritus. It appears practically mint!! :love: Evidently, Mr. T. Ingerman (whoever he was, R.I.P.) did not use this hardly at all. First shave report incoming.

gmbrVFi.jpg

8XfAgsd.jpg

LYHMF4H.jpg

a0HphsW.jpg

1x0c1gw.jpg
Lovely clean up looks 100%

Alright, first shave in. For the sake of not appearing to "gild the lily" I will be as objective as possible in describing this. FYI, I used Cyril L. Salter tallow soap (puck) for the same reasoning. I wanted to test the razor and not a soap. The shave was absolutely superb. Of that let there be no mistake. The razor felt lighter than an E 2 which made it very nimble. Here's the tricky part and where it gets subjective. There is definitely just a slight difference in the head angle (and perhaps even exposure) that could easily lead someone into thinking it's slightly more "aggressive" than an E 2, E 3, or even a G Model for that matter. But, based upon my subjective opinion after one shave I caught myself making the grave error that is so easy to do with any injector and that is "lawnmowering", or trying to use one like a ctg./disposable razor around the chin/mouth area due to forgetting the "Golden Rule" of injector shaving: lay the face flat. When I adhered to that rule all was perfect, but the slightest deviation in the aforementioned areas allowed it to "bare its teeth" and quickly forced me to adjust the angle. This is where I believe the more exposure factor came into play. When corrected it shaved like a dream. I think seasoned injector shavers will easily understand this.

In conclusion, yes I am just giddy to own one and know how it shaves. However, it does not shave "light years" better than even a G or I Model which are surely benchmark injector models. Hell, I have never had a bad shave with any injector E through L for that matter!!

Just as a final observation that I feel should be mentioned I will add that the earliest Schick injector models without striations/grooves on the bar need a little "help" per my experiences. That help is that despite even with the most luxurious of wet lathers the smooth bar acts as a squeegee and as a result you need to really wet the razor head very thoroughly between short strokes to get the smoothest results. No doubt this is why they later added these just as Gillette added their grooves and Merkur their scallops on their respective DE razors as they do serve a purpose.

Those guys weren't dumb. ;)

Just as a final observation that I feel should be mentioned I will add that the earliest Schick injector models without striations/grooves on the bar need a little "help" per my experiences. That help is that despite even with the most luxurious of wet lathers the smooth bar acts as a squeegee and as a result you need to really wet the razor head very thoroughly between short strokes to get the smoothest results. No doubt this is why they later added these just as Gillette added their grooves and Merkur their scallops on their respective DE razors as they do serve a purpose.

Those guys weren't dumb. ;)
Me being new to injectors found that sometimes the razor would suction/stick to the skin if the lather was too thick.
I now add just a wee bit more water than I usually do when I am using injector.

Back
Top Bottom