Scale removal / re-pinning - minimal tools?

OK, having recently decided to have a go at restoring straights and having purchased a Dremel, polishing kit and various sandpaper grits, I'm now looking to tools for removing / re-pinning razors.

What's the minimum number of tools / items I need and what are they? Any recommended shops for getting them? I know I need things like a ball-peen hammer, pins & washers - but what else?

Cheers!

Grant

Or: a dead fine warding file and a 1/16" parallel pin punch (you can improvise one of those easily enough from a old drill bit epoxied into a bit of bar). Drilling them out is the way to go if you want to save the washers.

Actually, if you have a dremel, that's all you really *need* besides the hammer and anvil (or anvil like object). As well as the supplies. Just use a cutting wheel.

I see Lidl is selling a vice tomorrow - plan to pick one up to use as an anvil-like device as per some of the videos I've seen.

I think Fatboy1971 is referring to them but I call them flush cutters. I have had good results with my cutters when unpinning having yet to fail in the task although mine are not very good quality. Good quality flush cutters are an essential tool for the unpinning proces IMHO. Be sure to wear eye protection though as the cut pin tends to separate at high velocity; also I usually cup my hand over the work when I cut the head of the pin off...

Use insulating tape to cover the scales and pins then file down past the riveted head. You then use a drift to punch the pins out be very careful as scales can crack. This method destroys the washers so only use it if you have spares or want to replace them. Use a drill press if you want to save the washers. I would still use the insulating tape and a quick file of the top of the rivet to get it flat ready for drilling (been very careful not to hit the washer) then I use a centre punch to mark the centre of the pin to help the drill bit bite and not wander around.

I've not tried restoring a straight...But can I add a word of caution here....Several years ago I was re-Blading a knife..I was a bit tired and freezing cold...maybe brain not working as it should......

Now for the cringy bit......When I drilled out the blade rivet....(blade was open by the way)...as I said brain not functioning.......The blade snapped shut in a micro second with the torque of the drill bit...and very nearly took the end of my left index finger off......I was very lucky.. you can't even tell now.........But just be careful guys.....

You're not the first to do that, Goldcrest. There's a similar story (only much worse) on one of the knife forums concerning a pillar drill and a bowie knife. Moral: tape the edge of the razor, and clamp your big knives down.

Back
Top Bottom