Scale material choice

Biggest problem with scales in wood: more often than not they are made too thick and chunky looking.
I agree - this also makes them difficult to flex from toe to heel. However, if you thin them too much, you run the risk of fracturimg them. I’ve come to the conclusion that most woods need a liner that provides the linear strength to support flexing. A good example is Wenge veneer - in the photo below I used it even though the burl had been stabilised. The grain runs along the length on the inside scale and supports the grain of the burl which runs in different directions.

2F04059B-4F33-4956-9AC4-CF46662FC6F2.jpeg

View attachment 70202
I never use liners but after a mishap involving karelian burl I am now more careful when choosing burl for scales. (cracked already before peening when polishing)
I know exactly how you feel.
D267C526-9FBD-4893-B46B-E286AA1120EE.jpeg
This was stabilised burl - but it’s very structure is not strong enough for flexing without some form of liner - and even then, you may still be unlucky enough for a crack to form.

Ok I am now convinced that my choice of Micarta is the right choice for me... a Ralf Aust it will be.

UKRobb has convinced me that G10/Micarta can be done with class.. I have also understood that there a certain fragility can exist with wood...

It will be my first SR and I want to make it a keeper, I have also understood that other materials do have other reasons over and above their inherent properties, the primary reason being their aesthetic....( UKRobb's images were truly pleasing...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom