Saturday 7st November to Friday 13th November 2020.

Friday AM 2020-11-13
HYFA9xI.jpg

Rooney 1/1 Ivory Finest (22/45)
Penhaligon's Castile shaving cream (vintage)
Haircut & Shave P076-SB Titanium
Personna 74 Tungsten (9)
Penhaligon's Castile aftershave (vintage)
jzbbUvu.jpg

Good evening gents
Brush- Maseto 24mm 2 Band Badger
Soap- TOBS Grapefruit
Razor- Gillette Fatboy (5)(3)
Blade- Gillette 7 O'clock Green #1
Post- Alum Block
ASL- Barts Grapefruit and Pink Pepper

So I was lucky enough to receive the Fatboy on the pass around today.
To be honest I was absolutely terrified when I was lathering up but after a few short strokes the fear had gone.
Now I understand why some of you loonies pay good money for these little gems.
I started with 5 on the dial for the first pass and then down 3 for the XTG pass. No nicks or weepers and an extremely smooth face.
I have an area on my jawline that I can never seem to shift with other DE's, this area is as smooth as this evening, even Mrs Merchant Seaman noticed it. (which is a minor miracle in itself).

Looking forward to the next shave now.

Have a great weekend gents and stay safe.

12/11/20
View attachment 61110

A nice enough shave today but my heart wasn't in it.
My dear old mother had a fall earlier in the week and fractured some ribs, she is a tough girl but ended up in hospital for Observation, anyway a load of tests later they found some other issues, she then went on to test positive for Covid, we have been so careful to avoid this, on top of that my oldest sister has also tested positive and she is also quite vulnerable.
I am as sick as a dog.
I will be popping in to keep my sanity levels on an even keel, however, my SOTD's may be missing or short for the next few days or so.
STAY SAFE ALL and enjoy your day.
Sad to hear but the very best of wishes and praying for you and your family to get through these challenging times from thousands of miles away...

12/11/20
View attachment 61110
Pre: Shower
Brush: Simpson Duke 2
Soap: Palmolive stick / Maca Root Superlather
Razor: Rex Ambassador
Blade: Gillette 7o'C Black (2)
Post shave: Cold water rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Floïd Balm
Aftershave: Floïd SE Mentolado Vigaroso
View attachment 61111

My dear old mother had a fall earlier in the week and fractured some ribs, she is a tough girl but ended up in hospital for Observation, anyway a load of tests later they found some other issues, she then went on to test positive for Covid, we have been so careful to avoid this, on top of that my oldest sister has also tested positive and she is also quite vulnerable.
I am as sick as a dog.
I will be popping in to keep my sanity levels on an even keel, however, my SOTD's may be missing or short for the next few days or so.

Very sorry to read this news Tony. I wish your Mom and Sister a speedy recovery.

12/11/20
View attachment 61110
Pre: Shower
Brush: Simpson Duke 2
Soap: Palmolive stick / Maca Root Superlather
Razor: Rex Ambassador
Blade: Gillette 7o'C Black (2)
Post shave: Cold water rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Floïd Balm
Aftershave: Floïd SE Mentolado Vigaroso
View attachment 61111

I am as sick as a dog.

So sorry to ready about your Mum and Sister; I hope all are okay and return to full health soon. Stay safe, and keep well.

Chris

Christmas Day ... Late

ACtC-3crJXiwaVS66bltXcPlE5YbZes0U_sesR5h89RLjpMdCTGec_tVMsN7q8Do1Rl2FgBf2VCYmyTwdx6XbWdTzoVc8wj5dzM4LSKQDK8Czs3i5ncKFfPgZhy3Ek3gDryB32-8uc9UT3Nzt_ZnXmOLqx8tfw=w1200

Wash with L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Ice Cool Face Wash
Lather up with Wickham's 1912 Christmas Spice & hjm Professional w/Blonde Boar 25mm
Single pass (2 day) shave with Bevel? & Big Ben Super Stainless (3)
Hot rinse, cold rinse, alum & Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve​

I put a question mark against the word Bevel as it is practically the same razor, albeit without the matte cap. As a shave, it gives quite an invigorating ride not a million miles off that which you'd expect from an R41! There is a lot of blade exposure and this translates to a loud scraping during the shave, much like the 1912. You can see my attraction to this razor ... it's one I've only used once before and vowed then to use it more, but didn't. I should, as I really like the shave it gives. It is exceptionally wide as it covers the blade tabs at the side (pet hate, as it's entirely unnecessary) but it doesn't detract from the shave - the curved corners actually add to its functionality and had me shaving with it very much like I would with a 1912. High praise for a cheapo (like sub-£3) mass produced head.

I continue to enjoy "the mop" and found it works really well exactly as I used it when it first arrived: quite wet and lather up on the soap, not just load but get a lather going. If you don't, he does drink the lather and the sheer length of the hair will pull apart and won't form a lathery bulb. It really is a lovely brush to use so long as you have a bucket sized tub for him to play in. Wickham's sized is perfect! I would imagine mug soap shavers know the drill ...

Final shave with the Big Ben Super Stainless and my opinion remains. It's a good middle tier stainless blade which has delivered good but characterless shaves which I'm sure many folks would see as a benefit. The smoothness remained across the three shaves and the third was no less smooth than the first, giving me the impression that the coating is well applied. I have read that there might be chrome in the edge. I say that cautiously because it didn't feel like a chrome blade and felt absolutely like a coated stainless blade ... but, you never know.

Back
Top Bottom