Saturday 26th December to Friday 01th January 2021

I love that handle. I've got the black one but wish I had gone for birch

Cheers! I particularly like birch ...

It's generally birch that I burn in my wood burner, which emits a lovely scent sitting aside the burner. The oil is something I am quite addicted to. It was a toss-up as I had my concerns about the natural wood on the handle. Apparently, it wears well (according to numerous threads on B&B) and I'll no doubt give it a drop of birch tar when it needs it. It's actually soft, almost like cork and entirely hydrophobic. The handle is lovely in the hand and very difficult to translate to picture. A real pleasure!

I was pretty much decided upon this razor (largely because of the handle, actually) before starting my stainless razor thread to sanity check and do on last run round of the market.

I would like the matching brush, as Muhle Silvertip Fibre is still today a very good fibre despite leaps and bounds in the technology over the last couple of years. £110, though ... I suppose if you've been into high-end badger, that's par for the course, but I've not been. That'll take a bit more swallowing than buying the razor.

I still think there's something quite unique about the Muhle silvertip fibre, but not for £110. The silvertip badger is the same price and while the birch laminate does command a little more money, something is wonky there - either silvertip badger ain't worth what folks are generally paying for it or that fibre has been seriously overpriced. Or the badger is a bargain!

Happy New Year!

ACtC-3dUtdKlaV_v45vq7bX11v-VaWLX4tD-vSap10YaNqsUiR3bkpuUayKSBtau9jB0J48bzD87Wk_eNZACQelsTVg38oR25X_xINRHTNVPnFr4HtEvH9omlKwH5CEJlPAZKozohkwa__WvXi7Zjk92Wy66TQ=w800

Wash with L'Oreal Men Extra Hydra Energetic
Lather up with L'Occitane Cade Shaving Soap & Yaqi Heavy Metal w/Tuxedo Synethetic 24mm
Single pass shave with Muhle Rocca R95 & Muhle Stainless (1)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & Floid Mentolado Suave​

... the Rocca was everything I hoped it would be :cool:

Pleased you are enjoying the Rocca - a very fine razor; shaves and looks great.

Happy New Year!

Just had a great shave, second in two days - both probably best ever for me.

Quite a few differences to equipment..

Simpsons pre shave oil
Stirling shaving soap
Personna blade (use #1 yesterday)

Something or a combination of these things has resulted in increased comfort and closeness.

Stirling Bay rum aftershave finished things off. First experience of bay rum, didn't like it first smell, but growing on me...

I might try the same sort of set up tomorrow but use a Feather blade instead, see what difference I can detect.

For my first shave of this new year I have themed it 'My first shave of this new year' (very original I think)

IMG_20210101_175422.jpg

To participate in Mr Boycie's Vintage January my first shave just had to include something vintage. Of course I think there is probably a ulterior motive behind his subject choice and at some point he is going to try flog something to some unsuspecting victim.

Vintage razor - Ever Ready 1912
A new but pretensious vintage blade - Personna GEM
Not a vintage brush - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
A Sounds vintage soap - Boellis Panama 1924

In 1924 Panama was invented by Frank Boellis. In 1881 France started to dig a canal across the country but then ceased digging after realising no one had actually invented Panama yet. With nothing else to do Frank decided making shaving soap was a better option. It took him the next 43 years to perfect by which time the Americans had finished the canal back in 1914. 10 years after completion of the canal Frank declared he had invented Panama but everyone had gone home by then and lost interest. But he did make a nice soap. And it is. In every way.......except may be the scent.

Everytime I use the 1912 I always feel a little daunted by it. A lot of blade on show and a shaving experience which includes a feedback described as being similar to scraping toast. This is my face here, not a piece of dry warm bread. But somehow against all odds (and peculiar noises) it always turns in a sterling performance. This evening was no different. It requires care and attention around the chin and under the nose due its rather large presence but the end results are more than satisfying. In fact damn fine.

Here have a drink and sod off with your boring rubbish

Time to sod off anyway and leave you with the usual sign off. It's those Otoboke Beaver girls

Monday 28th December

Soap - Squadron Red Lead
Brush - YaqI Chianti 24mm Synthetic
Razor - DS Cosmetics T7
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Post - Old Spice Aftershave

Smooth as silk all the way with this razor.
I last used it with a GWS blade, which was nowhere near as comfortable as with a Silver Blue. @Boycie83
Squadron Red Lead provided great protection and glide as always - thanks again @TomG
Glad you are still enjoying it, Paul.

To participate in Mr Boycie's Vintage January my first shave just had to include something vintage. Of course I think there is probably a ulterior motive behind his subject choice and at some point he is going to try flog something to some unsuspecting victim.
So basically, what you're saying is "No Shaving Purchases 2021" has subtly morphed into "Buy from @Boycie83 2021" ;)

So basically, what you're saying is "No Shaving Purchases 2021" has subtly morphed into "Buy from @Boycie83 2021" ;)

I wouldn't promote or use his dodgy underhanded services if I was paid to do so.

Although he does have a lot of lovely goodies :unsure:

And his prices are very good :rolleyes:

No no no. On a point of principle.......... and I have bought from him

Is that the new (to you) New Improved/Bostonian? It cleaned up nicely! Patent anniversary coming up this month - 13th for 101 years!
Yep, first shave with that one, I'm very impressed! I was thinking probably New Standard but it doesn't really matter. This one has no number, so I assume it's '27-'28? "From Oct 18 1927 to Aug 27 1928, there were no serial numbers used."

Back
Top Bottom