29/10/20

Razor: '67 Gillette Slim Adjustable #5
Blade: King C Gillette (2)
Brush: AP Shave Co Cashmere
Soap: SB Agrumi del Mediterraneo
Pre: Proraso Azur Lime
ASL: RR Emperor
ASB: LEA

I'm consistently getting great shaves from the Slim. The KCG blade is performing very nicely as well. Not enough to pay £1.10 per blade but nicely nonetheless.

The AP Shave Cashmere whipped up an easy lather with Agrumi del Mediterraneo (AdM). AdM translates to Citrus fruits of the Mediterranean. Very original. The scent profile is made up of lemon, orange, mandarin, bergamot and cedar. I get a subdued lemon and orange note that lacks the sharpness we normally associate with these scents. That's not a bad thing - it makes this soap a nice mellow alternative to the sharper cirrus soaps many of us own. A respectable nose on this forum, whilst he's not a fan of these soaps, described the scent as a fruit salad. I think he's right with that - a fresh fruit salad that you could be eating on the Amalfi coast. The scent remains consistent in notes and strength (mild) once lathered.

Performance wise - just as good as the other SB variants I've used. For the sake of this review I tested the post-shave feel again and it was still nice. Plenty of residual slickness for touch ups as well.

That's it for these croap variants. The solid soap is up next. As it stands today, based on my experience, I will be keeping the Sandalo Indiano, Aghi di Pino and AdM. The Mora e Muschio and Antica Ricetta have been sold to a chap on this forum. The Mora e Muschio was a fine performer but I couldn't see myself reaching for it much as I thought more about it. The Antica Ricetta was a bit of a disappointment for me. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable soap for some of you though as we know this game is very much YMMV.

IMG_20201030_141645.jpg
30/10/20

Blade: King C Gillette (3)
Brush: Dscosmetics 2B
Soap: SB Solido Arancia
Pre: Proraso White
ASL: Signature Soaps Hibernia

It's time for the final Saponificio Bignoli soap in this test: Arancia Solido.

This soap smells of orange and is a hard triple milled soap, unlike the others I've trialled. It's solid. The name though..... Solido.... I've racked my brain over what this could mean then it clicked:

531946.png

Solero! Solido must be Solero in Italian for the name of this solid soap. Arancia Solido translates to Orange Solero. Apt really as it's a very sweet orange. It takes me away on holiday. You know that Mediterranean orange juice you get in hotels that tastes great but smells even better? This is that smell.

Performance wise, it's ok. Slickness, residual slickness and post shave feel are inferior to the croap variants. I'll probably end up keeping this soap for the smell though.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to use the RazoRock WTP Lime next as a direct comparison to see if they're the same soap. I'll report back in this thread.

Here's a comparison of the ingredients:

IMG_20201010_131832.jpg
IMG_20201010_131807.jpg

View attachment 60755
30/10/20

Blade: King C Gillette (3)
Soap: SB Solido Arancia
Pre: Proraso White

It's time for the final Saponificio Bignoli soap in this test: Arancia Solido.

This soap smells of orange and is a hard triple milled soap, unlike the others I've trialled. It's solid. The name though..... Solido.... I've racked my brain over what this could mean then it clicked:

View attachment 60754

Solero! Solido must be Solero in Italian for the name of this solid soap. Arancia Solido translates to Orange Solero. Apt really as it's a very sweet orange. It takes me away on holiday. You know that Mediterranean orange juice you get in hotels that tastes great but smells even better? This is that smell.

Performance wise, it's ok. Slickness, residual slickness and post shave feel are inferior to the croap variants. I'll probably end up keeping this soap for the smell though.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to use the RazoRock WTP Lime next as a direct comparison to see if they're the same soap. I'll report back in this thread.

Here's a comparison of the ingredients:

View attachment 60756
View attachment 60757

Even if the soap produces an underwhelming lather it's worth it for the illustration of a shaving orange.

Well, that's it for the Saponificio Bignoli soaps. I believe some members have been enabled so my work here is done.

I should probably pick a favourite. I'm going to go with Sandalo Indiano, closely followed by Aghi di Pino. Is it my favourite of the Italian soaps? No - that crown remains with Saponificio Varesino and I'd probably choose Extro soaps over the Saponificio Bignoli variants. The croap SB marginally outperforms Extro but the Extro scents are better.

IMG_20201101_081519.jpg
01/11/20

Blade: King C Gillette (4)
Soap: RazoRock WTP Lime
Pre: Proraso Azur Lime

I know this isn't formally a Saponificio Bignoli soap but it appears to be made by them. The ingredients are the same as the Solido but with a couple in a slightly different order.

From the tub the RazoRock WTP Lime has a strong sharp synthetic lime smell and an almost dusty odour (is that the lanolin?). The scent wasn't unpleasant but I can't see myself reaching for it again. The scent remained consistent once lathered.

Performance was adequate. The shave was comfortable and there was enough residual slickness for some touch-ups. There's no denying that these WTP soaps are good value, especially when incorporating them in to Italian Barber orders but I've too many nice soaps that will trump this in rotation. I'm convinced the SB variant was a better performer but I'm not sure if that's just psychological. I wouldn't say the SB soap represents value for money though at nearly £15.

Back
Top Bottom