Sampling Crabtree & Evelyn

Got samples of Nomad cream and balm from the Belfast store. I won't post a review as I don't think using just this small sample would enable me to do any decent sort of review. Also I've been using my Mach 3 for the last week.

It works quite well, a very dense cream and a 'stiff' lather. The balm is effective and moisturising.

The main thing I have noticed though is the stength of the scent of both products. It is so strong that I think I would have to use the Nomad cologne as the scent from the cream and balm remains strong for some time, and would be clashing with any other scent if you wore it. I am not sure how to describe the scent, but it is growing on me.

Any fans or critics out there?

I'd say the balms are by far the best product in the C&E line-up. The deodorants are good as well. For me, their creams are neither as slick nor as cushioning as Trumpers or Taylors. The soaps are way down compared to the three T's, MWF, Tabac, a.o.

As for scents, I seriously regret that C&E discontinued their sandalwood, which was pretty amazing, both in the balm and in the cologne + deodorant. Nomad's not bad but on a hot day it just reminds me too much of something you'd spray on to avoid contracting malaria or kissing bug disease.

Frederick said:
Nomad's not bad but on a hot day it just reminds me too much of something you'd spray on to avoid contracting malaria or kissing bug disease.

Yes, there is something faintly medicinal about it.

Having used the cream and balm a couple of times now, I have to say that if I recieved them as a gift I would be pleased enough, but I would not buy them myself.

After five days use of cream and balm:

Used the cream today with a DE (Jagger Chatsworth and Wilkinson) after using the Mach 3 for a few days. This cream does not work as well with the DE as it does with the M3 for me. It is not lubricating enough I think.

But the balm really is very effective, soothing and moisturising, without being oily or greasy. And the scent does not linger for too long, not that it is unpleasant.

Back
Top Bottom