S.O.C versus 1305

I've just got an S.O.C and am slightly less than enthralled by it's performance, however this maybe as it's far from broken in and I'm comparing it back to back with an NF 2211. The S.O.C should be 'better' as it's Special Grade boar, and costs almost 10 Euro's more. I keep running out of lather halfway through my second pass, but am confident this will improve as the brush breaks in, and I learn a revised technique. I've always fancied the painted handle of the 1305 and was looking for one when the S.O.C popped up.

So who's got both, and have you any thoughts?

I have the LE 2009 which is supposed to be a tad denser with a bit more loft than the SOC. I took a good while for it to break in & behave itself. If i recall correctly ~20 shaves / lathers. The 1305 took ~10 shaves. The LE 2009 is a great brush.

The 1305 is not as dense as the SOC & has a different bristle. The 1305 is a great brush.

You cannot compare an unbroken SOC with a NF 2211.

I have the SOC and had a 1250 as well till recently. I believe the 1305 is similar (size/design - wise) to the 1250, this is why I'll say what I have to say herebelow.

The SOC is bigger, thicker, and its backbone is much better. It's a very good brush, a strong performer, a tool that will 'be there' and not give you concerns if you want to (say) keep loading and loading from a soap, etc. What I wouldn't really describe the SOC as is a brush set for travel, because of its overall size.

The SOC made me realize that 10 Eur difference between that and the '1305' type/price tag Semogue models can be easily justified and that it is much better having one SOC rather than two half-priced boars.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to hold fire on the 1305 for now (probably :oops: ) and am looking forward to the process of breaking the SOC in, and it's improving performance.

fozz77 said:
You cannot compare an unbroken SOC with a NF 2211.

I wasn't intending to do that, yes I'm using them side by side on alternating days with the same soap, ie MWF with each brush for two days, followed by Monsavon with each brush for the next two days etc... - this enables me to compare their performances side by side, but I'm not doing so expecting the results to be comparable if that makes any sense.

Hey, x4Jim - if you don 't want to keep it and are looking to pif it, I'm willing to own a SOC. At least for a while.

I prefer the unpainted Semogues mostly - except for the nuclear-snot-green 1550s of course!

:p

:lol:

Well it did cost me an hours wages gross, and I've only had it one week, and it's not broken in yet - but should charity hit me in a couple of months time you'll be at the top of my list UH ;)

Everything that Fozz said about the 2009 LE I'd echo, so working on the assumption that the SOC is similar, it deserves a lengthy audition before drawing conclusions. The 2009 is a fine brush, well able to compete with some good badgers, although not in truth with the New Forest silvertip.

Quattrojames: are we to take it that you face lather? Boars in general are good lather generators, but they do not seem to retain as much in the knot for additional passes, in my experience. Building the lather on your face initially, then making some more in a bowl will solve that one.

I think that particular SoC is doomed to be forever sold on until one day it eventually breaks.

I do like the feel of my 1305 but it's lack of lather retention is a real PITA. I'm still learning to use it though.

I like my SOC.

I like the amount of backbone it has and how soft the tips are. It is quite a different proposition to a badger brush.

However, it has taken/is still taking a long time to break in and when face-lathering I can not get enough lather in it for more than 2 passes.

I am going to keep using it regularly in my rotation though as I think it is a slow burner in terms of reaching its ultimate performance.

Arrowhead said:
Quattrojames: are we to take it that you face lather? Boars in general are good lather generators, but they do not seem to retain as much in the knot for additional passes, in my experience. Building the lather on your face initially, then making some more in a bowl will solve that one.

I do a bit of both in honesty, but if anything I tend toward bowl lathering in my Old Spice shave mug

antdad said:
I think that particular SoC is doomed to be forever sold on until one day it eventually breaks.

I do like the feel of my 1305 but it's lack of lather retention is a real PITA. I'm still learning to use it though.

Haha I'm gonna persevere a bit yet! I really like the wooden handle, but then I spotted a 2212 on Fido's blog today too ;) - and I've got UH on standby for a pif if needs be!

Very interesting what you say about the 1305 Antdad, thats convinced me to sit tight for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom