Ryder Cup 2012

Anyone watching?

First time in 20 years I'm not hosting a last night party here. What excitement we had over the years. Sadly, too many friends have passed on or moved away.

Hoping that Europe will at least keep interest alive a bit longer. What a finish last night!

Stopped following it after the 1999 Brookline spectator debacle and with a slightly more reserved warmth towards team USA thereafter.

I was young, but the memory remains.

Hiya,

On Friday morning I happened to be near Medinah and did a little driving around to check things out. I know a few members and they'd been jacked up for months anticipating the event. Pretty darn tough ticket.

So one of the closest main streets (Irving Park) to the entrance is a two lane road with houses on each side. Heh, it looked like a Cubs game, with all the neighbors holding and waving signs advertising parking. Average price was around $20, and you had to walk maybe a mile or two once you parked in their driveway or yard or wherever.

Friend of mine (Pauly) owns a bar right across the street from the tournament. You can read about his last brush with a PGA sponsored event back in 2006. He should do real well this time.

Martin
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/15295473-418/ryder-cup-draws-international-tourists-big-spending-to-chicago.html

You took your time Fido. Lol
I had a small wager on Europe at 13-1, so sitting with a glass of whisky watching with mild interest.
Pleasant way to spend a quiet Sunday evening if nothing else.

Loving it.
Some quality golf being played. This is one contest that will be won. It's not being lost through bad play.
Loving Ian Poulter and his scary eye celebrations!

Come on Europe

Gowf! A long walk spoiled. All that time amidst beautiful scenery and all you do is look at a wee white ba'.

If we were winning, I'd be waxing lyrical about how Scotland gave birth to the glorious game and the exquisite skill/fighting spirit of the European players. :icon_rolleyes:

Daft game!

Exciting stuff so far.

The annoying, random shouts here and there would have me wrapping a 3 iron round someone's swede (well, it must be useful for something).

Saying its a "daft game" is my way of dealing with the disappointment and the fact that when I played, I was atrocious. When my football team get beaten, I frequently bemoan the beautiful game and ask who the daft bugger was that invented it.

It's tighter than a gnat's chuff at the moment.

As I try to put as little funds as possible into Murdoch's evil empire it means I'm reduced to listening to it on 5 Live. However, the BBC commentary is as excellent as you'd expect.