Rolls razor, shave ready at last!

I've had a very frustrating time of late trying to hone the blades for my Rolls, the normal techniques I use for my straights don't seem to be effective on the Rolls blades. I am guessing this is because the angle of the blade to the hone is different when the blade is honed in the 'box' rather than flat on the stone.

I read over on SRP that someone was thinking of using lapping film on the Rolls hone so I gave it a go, I carefully prised out the hone and used it as a template to cut a piece of 5 micron 3M lapping film I had left over from a previous project, after carefully applying this to the hone and reassembling it back into the case, I gave the blade a good few laps with just a dab of water on the film. (I should add that I remove the guard bar when honing/stropping as I can't stand that 'double slap' racket!)

After a vigorous amount of stropping in the case I gave the blade a test shave, what a difference! The shave was very close to the result I get from my straights, so for anyone struggling to get the Rolls shave ready I would suggest giving this a try.

osdset said:
I've had a very frustrating time of late trying to hone the blades for my Rolls, the normal techniques I use for my straights don't seem to be effective on the Rolls blades. I am guessing this is because the angle of the blade to the hone is different when the blade is honed in the 'box' rather than flat on the stone.

I read over on SRP that someone was thinking of using lapping film on the Rolls hone so I gave it a go, I carefully prised out the hone and used it as a template to cut a piece of 5 micron 3M lapping film I had left over from a previous project, after carefully applying this to the hone and reassembling it back into the case, I gave the blade a good few laps with just a dab of water on the film. (I should add that I remove the guard bar when honing/stropping as I can't stand that 'double slap' racket!)

After a vigorous amount of stropping in the case I gave the blade a test shave, what a difference! The shave was very close to the result I get from my straights, so for anyone struggling to get the Rolls shave ready I would suggest giving this a try.

Great, thanks for the tip. I really like the idea of the Rolls, but have never managed to get an acceptable shave from mine, so I stick to my ever ready's with GEM blades. Will see if I can get hold of some of the 3M filem and give this a go... :icon_razz:

I haven't used mine for about eighteen months. I had one of the six blades properly honed by Neil Miller and although I could get a comfortable shave it wasn't really close enough for my liking.

That's a good tip,my rolls razor drives me nuts,I have in the past had some
Verry good shaves with the them, but have been flagging behind the straight razors,when I get the chance I'll try that out.

Back
Top Bottom