Rolls Razor help

Hi
just taken delivery of a very nice Rolls Viscount Razor complete in original box. Strop looks ok with mild staining but no cuts. Hone is intact and mechanism works fine. I got two blades with it. No rust on the edges but a bit of black discolouration here and there (anyone know how to get rid of this). Have scrubbed and washed everything with a toothbrush and bicarb of soda. Only problem is I have no strop paste and probably wont be able to afford any for a bit. I have clear leather conditioner that came with my DM's - would that work ok or do I need to wait until I can get some proper paste?

Jon

seabirch said:
No rust on the edges but a bit of black discolouration here and there (anyone know... Jon
Does that mean the discolouration is on the edge? If so, you will not get a comfortable shave as the black sounds like the residue of rusting and, if this is the case, no amount of stropping will make it a good enough blade to shave with.

UKRob said:
seabirch said:
No rust on the edges but a bit of black discolouration here and there (anyone know... Jon
Does that mean the discolouration is on the edge? If so, you will not get a comfortable shave as the black sounds like the residue of rusting and, if this is the case, no amount of stropping will make it a good enough blade to shave with.

Hi
No there are no black marks on either of the blades - they both have a clear and keen edge. The marks are faintly on the main part of the blade. Just a slight discolouration

Jon

seabirch said:
UKRob said:
seabirch said:

Hi
No there are no black marks on either of the blades - they both have a clear and keen edge. The marks are faintly on the main part of the blade. Just a slight discolouration

Jon
54j6l0.jpg

2yzd1ee.jpg

34g8tq0.jpg

Solvol Autosol would be what I would use to polish the marks from the blades, the strop looks more dirty than anything else, although is that a nick on the upper right? I don't use any paste on my rolls strops and they work fine.

osdset said:
Solvol Autosol would be what I would use to polish the marks from the blades, the strop looks more dirty than anything else, although is that a nick on the upper right? I don't use any paste on my rolls strops and they work fine.

No there is no nick on the strop. I think that was a trick of the light. How do I clean the strop?

jon

Well no immediate help but you would be well advised getting a 2nd strop plate and putting a new fresh piece of leather on it treat with some neatsfoot oil or even dubbin to soften it up a bit but that's all then apply some chromium oxide powder to the formerly pasted strop that you have. Then after some laps on the hone, put the crox strop in then use the new clean leather strop. Before going to the clean leather strop carefully remove any powder that has stuck to the blade with a tissue to prevent transferring it.

With that technique I have had some awesome shave from my rolls.

Well Honed and stropped it this morning and had a go at shaving with it but it was no where near sharp enough. Didn't remove stubble and pulled. Will I have to have it professionally honed

Jon

Whilst on the subject of the Rolls, I have taken to removing the safety bar from the blades whilst stropping it gets rid of that 'double slap' annoying racket and makes stropping easier, in fact I am leaving the bar off for shaving as well, I use a straight most of the time so the technique is not so different.

Back
Top Bottom