Rockwell 6S - Oh boy what a machine!! (Merkur 34C Upgrade?)

I just took delivery of a Rockwell 6S in Matt Black. Guard no3 fitted, Feather Stainless blade in and off to the races I went.

Pre: Nothing but warm water

Shave:
Arko Shaving Stick applied directly to face, lathered with Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic.

Post: Generous splash of Proraso Red aftershave, followed by a helping of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.

Now over the last 2 years my main razor has been the Merkur 34C or G, with either Astral SP, Gillette Silver Blue or Feather Blades. Sometimes I use a 59 Gillette Fat Boy as well. Both have offered me many fantastic shaves but you know how it is…. We always need to try and ‘upgrade’ or get something new so I picked up the Rockwell 6S in Matt black based on recommendations made to other people online asking where to go from a Merkur 34C.

Boy oh boy what a quality machine this thing is. It is HEAVY, and the build quality is just straight up precision, top drawer class.

I jumped in at number 3 safety bar/guard which is right in the middle between 1-6 and I have just treated myself to the most comfortable, smooth shave I’ve ever had. No joke, it didn’t even feel like it had a blade in it the way this thing glided over my face. So comfortable infact I think I should try guard no4 next time to see if I can get a little closer without irritation.

As with anything this is personal opinion, however for anyone looking to trying something else after getting comfortable with a Merkur 34C, then you should buy a Rockwell 6S.

72AD935A-52F6-4D0B-ADCC-96AD959FD12C.jpeg

I just took delivery of a Rockwell 6S in Matt Black. Guard no3 fitted, Feather Stainless blade in and off to the races I went.

Pre: Nothing but warm water

Shave:
Arko Shaving Stick applied directly to face, lathered with Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic.

Post: Generous splash of Proraso Red aftershave, followed by a helping of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.

Now over the last 2 years my main razor has been the Merkur 34C or G, with either Astral SP, Gillette Silver Blue or Feather Blades. Sometimes I use a 59 Gillette Fat Boy as well. Both have offered me many fantastic shaves but you know how it is…. We always need to try and ‘upgrade’ or get something new so I picked up the Rockwell 6S in Matt black based on recommendations made to other people online asking where to go from a Merkur 34C.

Boy oh boy what a quality machine this thing is. It is HEAVY, and the build quality is just straight up precision, top drawer class.

I jumped in at number 3 safety bar/guard which is right in the middle between 1-6 and I have just treated myself to the most comfortable, smooth shave I’ve ever had. No joke, it didn’t even feel like it had a blade in it the way this thing glided over my face. So comfortable infact I think I should try guard no4 next time to see if I can get a little closer without irritation.

As with anything this is personal opinion, however for anyone looking to trying something else after getting comfortable with a Merkur 34C, then you should buy a Rockwell 6S.

View attachment 74668
I Agree
it’s a wonderful Razor but for me what stops it being a number one is the over hang not that it’s an issue but if it wasn’t for the overhang it would be my number 1 razor for sure & i also have it in black

Indeed a very good razor. I had the 6C (in gunmetal) which allegedly gives the same shaving experience but not made out of stainless steel therefore more budget friendly. As a matter of fact some say it shaves better than 6s due to the fact the SS version is matte and some experience a bit of drag because of the extra friction. :unsure:
There's little chance you can't make a Rockwell 6 work for you with the number of plate settings available. I only sold mine on as I wanted to try something else.
My only negative is the bulkiness of the head design. Not a major thing but makes it less agile in the hard to reach areas.

Indeed a very good razor. I had the 6C (in gunmetal) which allegedly gives the same shaving experience but not made out of stainless steel therefore more budget friendly. As a matter of fact some say it shaves better than 6s due to the fact the SS version is matte and some experience a bit of drag because of the extra friction. :unsure:
There's little chance you can't make a Rockwell 6 work for you with the number of plate settings available. I only sold mine on as I wanted to try something else.
My only negative is the bulkiness of the head design. Not a major thing but makes it less agile in the hard to reach areas.
It is quite bulky and heavy compared to the 34c, but I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth it was. Im going to try plate 4 on the next run.

I find 6S plate 2 gives just as close a shave as 3 or 4 but even smoother. Counterintuitive I know. Maybe manufacturing tolerances mean plates are slightly different but my plate 2 is my best fit.
Even though the razor looks like something out of a plumber's toolbox, it performs excellently. I believe the razor's heavy weight gives it more of a momentum in the stroke to plough smoothly through bristle.
I have the non-coated finish but the coloured finishes look very tempting, but I can't justify (to my wife) buying it again :)

Reactions: ATG
I find 6S plate 2 gives just as close a shave as 3 or 4 but even smoother. Counterintuitive I know. Maybe manufacturing tolerances mean plates are slightly different but my plate 2 is my best fit.
Even though the razor looks like something out of a plumber's toolbox, it performs excellently. I believe the razor's heavy weight gives it more of a momentum in the stroke to plough smoothly through bristle.
I have the non-coated finish but the coloured finishes look very tempting, but I can't justify (to my wife) buying it again :)

I just had my 2nd shave with the 6S, this time with plate 4. Not sure I can tell the difference in the result but it certainly wasn’t quite as smooth as plate 3.

Back
Top Bottom