RFB cap query.

Some Tech top caps (but not all of them), have a small v-shaped notch that runs down the centre of the baseplate.

It can be seen in the Tech on the right in the photo above and in the photos below.
IMG_7292.JPGIMG_5859-2.JPGTech 3.jpegTravel 1.jpeg

It is also present in the Hybrid Tech:

Hybrid Tech.jpg

There are always some extra variations to be found out there and please bear in mind that not all Tech top caps had this triangular notch.

Hopefully that will help explain the main differences I've found so far and will prove to be of some help. :)

A-ha! I think this is our answer actually @ajc347

img_3834-jpg.67585

I was initially confused about why just the middles appeared to have been filed away and like you, thought it was possibly just some cleaning up.

My initial thinking was that it was possibly one of the caps with the "vampire fangs" at each end of the twin slot but only one side had been filed. I had forgotten about the long slot variant with the lowered middle.

You pictured it ... on the right

This is the bit I believe has been filed out so that the cap fits the other twin slot baseplates. So absolutely the right kit: top cap, baseplate and handle. Just modified.

... also used in the "long slot" Tech:

ACtC-3ek0NaX-kQOCWYqv3uu9o3kUrdI4L8TrWr7nNb7XvMYDcCjjR0ujeGcjv7gTNB7Vogu4TWh86Mx0TTb34NcZ58XsMkLC64bZP797b9gS4t2EnkrH2ecyIDwsIq_Rckl4lbNkeI1V59HOe67oZFayTk4-w=w800

The lowered middle section is so that the handle can nip up fully. Curiously, not an issue on the RFB, leading me to believe that any such top cap was leftover from the probably aborted run of "long slot" Techs, given how few and far between they are.

We've seen it time and again in the automotive market; special models, special editions made up of surplus stock and leftover bits.

Great thinking, as always, Paul. :)

They made a long slot NEW Service Set version as well, so it is entirely likely that either the Tech or NEW version could potentially be where the top cap may have come from.

DSCF0972.jpegDSCF1021.jpeg

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the underside of the top cap, however, I think they were identical to the one used in the RFB.

Great thinking, as always, Paul. :)

They made a long slot NEW Service Set version as well ...

Well ... I ... never ... (gee, thanks :love: ) ... I suppose I always suspected that there was such a thing.

For folks who think I'm the Master Shifu of vintage shaving, may I present Master Oogway (@ajc347) :cool:

I think we've solved the mystery of the filed cap and can confirm that this RFB razor is indeed all there, present and only slightly incorrect.

More than a 'Fount of Knowledge'...you guys are more like a Tsunami of Knowledge.
Thanks so much. Yes, I'd sort of figured that some clown had filed down a long slot cap.
Now I just need to decide if I try to find a good cap...or just swap/sell what I have.
I used the Tech today just because it was out and assembled...but really prefer my Timeless/Karve/Blackbird etc.
I could also (I guess) just use the cap from my lovely NEW SC...which quite seriously will probably hit the BST soon as I haven't used it for a couple of years now.

Much appreciate all the input.

Just found a Gillette NEW LC locally, and not too dear.
If I'm reading all this correctly then no harm for me to use that LC cap?
Thank you guys for all that info...really is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom