Rex Konsul first use opinion

First shave with the Rex Konsul. Excellent shave and excellent razor.

Owning both the Konsul and the Ambassador, the Konsul certainly has noticeably less blade feel than the Ambassador. The Konsul is certainly going to be a worthwhile razor that I will love using alongside the Rex Ambassador, and I will not be parting with my Ambassador (still thoroughly, thoroughly enjoy using it a lot).

I found that I needed to go on to the higher numbers on the Konsul. I started off on 2 for first pass. Second I put it on 4. Third pass and touch up pass I maxed the Konsul out (roughly 6.5). When comparing it against the Rex Ambassador, I use that on 2, 3, 4.5.

Despite this high setting, the Konsul shaved buttery smooth and with not too much blade feel. On the subject of blade feel. I found very little under 4.

I eventually found the best setting (and I’ll try this on future shaves and with different blades, 4, 5, 6.5.

Very, very impressive razor and this was my first shave with a slant razor. I found that I could more easily (and more comfortably) get the straddlers, when comparing it to the Ambassador. My advice is, if you are wanting a Rex razor, but are a bit put off with the Ambassador’s forward feeling blade feel, then I would recommend going with the Konsul.

Couple of niggles I found with the Konsul:

1: Good as the handle grip is on the Konsul, I find the handle grip on the Ambassador to be noticeably more grippy. I can understand why Matt wanted to change the grip design on the Konsul, as he obviously wanted to differentiate it from the Ambassador. But given the choice I would choose the handle grip design on the Ambassador over the Konsul’s.

2: With the top cap on the Konsul having a slant and as such not been perfectly flat. I found blade loading to be a bit more fiddly than loading the blade in the Rex Ambassador, as the Rex Ambassador has a straight top cap. I found the best way to load the blade in the Konsul, was to place the blade on the top of the handle, and then lower the top cap down on to it, then hold the top cap in place with one hand and tighten with the other.

With all that being said, it’s a very impressive razor, and one that I will certainly enjoy using and I have absolutely no regrets with buying it.

IMG_8097.jpg

Great write up! Thank you.
I didn't get along with the Ambassador because of the the grip (which I found it to be way too grippy) and blade feel (too aggressive) which makes the Konsul a viable alternative.

I know exactly why @Boycie83 asked the question as I found the finish on the Ambassador to cause some drag so another plus here for the Konsul from what you experienced.

My Konsul arrived yesterday, and in anticipation, I've slobbed around and not shaved for three days.

I put a Perma-Sharp blade in it, and whipped up some P&B "Pall Mall", which I worked up to be on the moist, foamy, fluffy side, rather than the drier. This was on account of seeing a mention somewhere that the razor worked well with the soap used thus.

I set it to 2, and in two passes I had as smooth a shave as I've ever had. The razor glides smoothly, and there's a tiny bit of blade feel at that setting, but nothing uncomfortable. I normally have a couple of areas where almost every razor I've used misses a bit, but, to my surprise, this one cleaned up those easily.

My usual way of mowing off days of stubble is to reach for the R41 GS, and I didn't expect the Konsul to match the R41, but it certainly did, and it was a smoother and far less "exciting" experience than the R41. I'll be trying out different settings over the next couple of sessions, to assess it as a daily shaver, and that should be interesting..

Altogether, it's a very impressive razor. Although the cost is substantial, the fit and finish justify a bit of a premium, and the performance likewise.

My Konsul arrived yesterday, and in anticipation, I've slobbed around and not shaved for three days.

I put a Perma-Sharp blade in it, and whipped up some P&B "Pall Mall", which I worked up to be on the moist, foamy, fluffy side, rather than the drier. This was on account of seeing a mention somewhere that the razor worked well with the soap used thus.

I set it to 2, and in two passes I had as smooth a shave as I've ever had. The razor glides smoothly, and there's a tiny bit of blade feel at that setting, but nothing uncomfortable. I normally have a couple of areas where almost every razor I've used misses a bit, but, to my surprise, this one cleaned up those easily.

My usual way of mowing off days of stubble is to reach for the R41 GS, and I didn't expect the Konsul to match the R41, but it certainly did, and it was a smoother and far less "exciting" experience than the R41. I'll be trying out different settings over the next couple of sessions, to assess it as a daily shaver, and that should be interesting..

Altogether, it's a very impressive razor. Although the cost is substantial, the fit and finish justify a bit of a premium, and the performance likewise.

I've had around 10 shaves with the Konsul now and in the process found which of all my collection of blades I like/or like not so much in it. All but one type of blade I found worked well for me in the Konsul.

I still find 4, 5, 6.5. for the respected passes works excellent for me. The Konsul is providing me with the best post shave feel out of all my efficient razors, and the buttery smoothest of all my efficient razors too.

Blade loading I find now the method that works best for me is if I press the blade down on to the two tabs on the top cap (till it bends and clicks into place) and then lower the handle down on to it, and tighten.

Glad to hear you are getting smooth shaves from your Konsul :)

Just to add to @Talster 's comments on blades in the Konsul. I haven't tried more than a couple, but the second choice is a Sputnik, which seems to bring a harshness all of its own, to what has been a nice, smooth and effective razor. I'll carry on with this blade, in case a couple more uses might tone it down, but it's off the Konsul list thereafter.

Back
Top Bottom