REVIEW: E&S Rasage Traditionnel Shaving Soaps

20220225_105113.jpg

Razor: Alpha Claymore Evolution
Blade: Kai Pink (6)
Brush: Boti Leader Silvertip 24mm Viper
Soap: E&S Rasage Barber

Today was the turn of Barber - selected by my daughter based on scent. The official description for Barber is: a masculine fragrance which opens up with notes of bergamot, grapefruit, orange and light green notes. It has a heart of jasmine, rose and violet. The base is one of deep woody notes, patchouli, tree moss and sandalwood. It has a hint or Leather to round the fragrance out. I get a bitter orange note with the tree moss and a bit of sandalwood once lathered. Whilst I'm not familiar with Barbershops, the scent does take me back somehow. When applied, this was the strongest scent of the three I've tried so far.

Lathering was slightly easier today since figuring out the behaviour of this base. I also noticed that I had gotten in to the habit of adding pressure to the Claymore during my last shave. I corrected that today and the shave was comfortable and smelt great

20220227_092921.jpg

Blade: Kai Pink (7)
Brush: Boti 26mm NC Beehive
Soap: E&S Rasage Barber

I picked up the same notes today. They're predominantly bitter citrus and tree moss. It does remind me of something although I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not normally a moss fan in scents but it works here. Not a personal favourite but nice nonetheless.

I'm 3 soaps in to these reviews and 6 uses of the E&S base. If I'm being completely honest, I'm underwhelmed. Testing the remaining two soaps feels more dutiful rather than something I'm looking forward to. They're not bad soaps but I've got better. For comparison, I would rate Stirling, OSP, SV and B&M (Excelsior) as better overall packages - in my opinion. Perhaps my heart isn't in to these tests at present - the meaningless activity of describing a soap whilst war is underway on our continent seems a little vapid.

I'm still enjoying the Claymore and Kai Pink combination. 7 shaves in and the blade is still going strong.

20220228_193938.jpg

Blade: Kai Pink (8)
Brush: Alpha Outlaw G4
Soap: E&S Rasage Azur

Quite a turnaround from yesterday. Today was a great shave. The Azur was up today. The official description: The start is a fruity-citrus blend thanks to figs and citrus fruits. Marine notes are found in heart notes, accompanied by floral notes. The woody and vanilla base contrasts with the ozonated fragrance of marine notes.

I concur.

Lovely scent. Complex when applied but not overpowering. I can still smell it a bit after the shave but it did not dominate the bathroom during the process.

Lather was much better today. It built quickly and was plenty slick. Definitely the best lather I've had from this base so far. Interestingly this tub seems a little softer in consistent than the others.

I'm actually now looking forward to the next shave. I know, I know - I turn on a penny.

20220302_190547.jpg

Blade: Kai Pink (9)
Brush: AP Shave 28mm SynBad
Soap: E&S Rasage Azur

I've enjoyed these two shaves with the Azur. I like the scent and the soap performed well on both occasions. Part of this enjoyment is potentially due to me having the Claymore Evo well dialled in. I'm probably going to BST the E&S soaps but if I was going to keep one, it would be this one. Equinoxe is up next.

Pros of the Azur: It has a nice floral marine scent. French/Italian coast type of thing (I'm assuming - never been!). It was the easiest to lather of the 4 so far and seemed to perform the best.

Cons of the Azur: It still takes some work to get going compared to some other soaps. I stand by my earlier assessment of the base's performance. I think I could detect a minute bit of tingling/irritation.

20220304_115452.jpg

Blade: Kai Pink (10)
Brush: Alpha Outlaw G5C
Soap: E&S Rasage Equinoxe

The final soap in my E&S collection is now up. Equinoxe: Opening with Bergamot and Grapefruit with a heart of Jasmine and Rose. The scent has a woody depth of Sandalwood and slightly spiced Tree Moss. I get spicy floral notes - make of that what you will.

Performance is consistent with the other soaps I've used.

To summarise my experience with thes soaps, the base is fine and the scents are very nice. They're not keepers for me. They're good value with 5oz of soap in a tub and I've not had any issue with them in terms of spots which can happen if a soap is too rich for me. I had a sneaky suspicion that one of them may had ittirtatw9me slightly but not enough to be that noticeable. These are now heading off to the BST as I streamline the den.

View attachment 85125

Blade: Kai Pink (10)
Brush: Alpha Outlaw G5C
Soap: E&S Rasage Equinoxe

The final soap in my E&S collection is now up. Equinoxe: Opening with Bergamot and Grapefruit with a heart of Jasmine and Rose. The scent has a woody depth of Sandalwood and slightly spiced Tree Moss. I get spicy floral notes - make of that what you will.

Performance is consistent with the other soaps I've used.

To summarise my experience with thes soaps, the base is fine and the scents are very nice. They're not keepers for me. They're good value with 5oz of soap in a tub and I've not had any issue with them in terms of spots which can happen if a soap is too rich for me. I had a sneaky suspicion that one of them may had ittirtatw9me slightly but not enough to be that noticeable. These are now heading off to the BST as I streamline the den.
Thank you for the crash course in E&S soaps, most informative. - I.

Thank you for the crash course in E&S soaps, most informative. - I.

...I know, I know - I turn on a penny.

SlN8oeX.jpg

Back
Top Bottom