restoration attempt number 1

How are those scales coming along Colin? I've been looking through my hoard of scales (mostly single sides in case I ever need to match something) and found a few pairs of bone scales that you can have if all else fails. They will need a bit of tarting-up, but they will do the job.

Incidentally, I restored five razors today and one had warped horn scales, like yours. I put it in a cup of boiling water til it got soft, then clamped it up between two bits of wood - looks to have worked a treat.

Regards,
Neil.

I have seen Colin's razors - they are on my desk at the moment - and what can I say but well done, a very creditable first attempt. The Gate's is back in it's old scales and honed. It is wickedly sharp and holds a good edge. The Rodgers should be wearing its new Ebony scales by monday at the latest. Happy shaving Colin!

cc6.jpg

cc5.jpg

cc4.jpg

cc3.jpg

cc2.jpg

cc1.jpg

Thanks graham assembly carried out buy a professional, not a nut with a
four pound hammer, lol. Neil says its seriously sharp, I think that was how he
Worded it.
The josehp rodgers I'm hoping will look even better, it was almost mirror finished.

Thanks but anyone can scratch a piece of metal from coarse to fine and make it
Shine, but it takes a real clever man to assemble correctly and make it a razor
That you can actually shave with. And for that my thanks go out to Neil! Can't wait
To shave with it though, I'm even going to miss tonights shave and shave with it
Tomorrow.

As you know, Colin is in Wales, so I thought I'd post pics of his Joseph Rodgers so he can have a look at the work in hand before he gets home. The razor is now cased in a new hand-made pair of Ebony scales with lead wedge and has taken a particularly good edge - possibly keener than the gates. The dot hole was punched rather than drilled, like all the old razors, and was a bit floppy in consequence of being much larger than the pivot pin. That has been cured by cutting a shim from a brass tube and placing it in the dot hole before the pivot pin ends were peened over. It's a good tight fit in the scales, doesn't flop about, and closes with the blade dead centre.

The finish colin has achieved on the blade is really outstanding - mirror bright - well done!

closed-40.jpg

side2-50.jpg

side1-51.jpg

blade3-46.jpg

blade2-48.jpg

See you when you get back, Colin

All the Best,
Neil

Neil that looks fantastic mate, the ebony sets it of wonderfully, I can't wait to
Get home and see it in da flesh, although if anyone can take a good pic its defanatly
Yourself. You should take it up as a living your good at it, I bet ya black and white
Are good too. Lol.
I should hopfully be home on thursday you will have ta let me know what I owe
Ya so I can square you up mate
Thanks again Neil

Colin

Back
Top Bottom