restoration attempt number 1

Ok gents, a bit of my background 1st . I'm 38 I've worked in or around the motor
Trade since I was 11 in my dads workshop, I've worked around lathes welding
Equipment bending machines and guiloteens, oh and I'm dislexic, so I'm sorry
For spelling and punctuation. I currently work for a bus dealer "optare" as a field
Engineer I cover from oxford down to bornmouth.
I bought last week 2 straights, a joseph rodger 7/8th full wedge
And a gates, dead boring looking and 7/8th full wedge
This restoration Workshop I asked boab to set up to show my skills or very possibly Failier.
I will be taking my time and showing pics and probally swearing a lot.
Any tips greatly welcome. I will be begging exile for help, thanks mate
Current pics I will post during the week but there are some under thread "new/old
Accwisions
Thanks for following my learning curve lol :mrgreen:

Exile said:
Good Luck with the restoration and any time you need any advice don’t hesitate to ask.
Graham

Oh I won't! I've got ya phone number god help you, sorry ollie. They have been delivered
I'm headind to truro to day and am there till wends so I will post before pics
wend or thurs.
This could get messy. How hard is the spine graham, usually on a wedge?

Good luck Colin - I've got a similar project sat ready to go, I just have to pluck up the courage to begin! (That and find the time in amongst work, wife and drinking :lol: )

I did most fo to hard graft with a small 3inch d,a and the fine paper by hand.
As for the scales, I'm going to saok the in warm water and weight the to get them
Straight but they are badley cracked and have been broken and super glued. I'm
Going to have to back them on thin alloy for strenth, shame as they are horn. But I'm
I'm going to do my best to save them!

It is a good method providing that (a) the metal you use is thin enough and (b) you can bond it effectively to the scale material that is to go on top of it. As it will have a different degree of flex it is apt to come away or 'delaminate' in the middle. One way around this is to use a third pin and plug, measuring it's position carefully so as not to get in the way of the tang when the blade is turned.

It can also be a way of salvaging scales that have bits missing of the ends if you use a metal thin enough or soft enough to form into a bolster - like some old pocket knives and a few razors - at the wedge and pivot pin ends.

The following three photos show scales with metal bolsters:

bolster3.jpg

bolster2.jpg

bolster1.jpg

The cream ones are original - not sure about the other one - it is a Taylor blade but the scales look very much like those you see in a penknife.

Back
Top Bottom