Replating, new options available

Don't know if anyone has seen, but Dave Glynn of safetyrazors.co.uk fame is now offering Silver, Gold and Rhodium in addition to the usual Nickel finish.

He seems to be concentrating on the replating side now having moved to restoredrazors.com and not running the shop part, this is only my guess I don't know for certain.

But as most here will know his work is superb and now we have alternate finishes available:icon_razz:

Yes - I found this by chance last week and sent a New, Fatboy and Rocket HD off for replating. The first two I am having gold, the latter nickel. He gave me a rough turnaound time of 2 weeks, so I'm hoping I'll get them all back in time for next weekend.

Of course, I will be posting before and after pics somewhere on here

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnrgh.
Must resist Rhodium Plating the Slim.
Must resist
Must resist

Well at least until next payay.
Plus side is Feb & March are Council Tax free months - so thats £300 I save to spend on Razor Pr0n.

Father Ted said:
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnrgh.
Must resist Rhodium Plating the Slim.
Must resist
Must resist

Well at least until next payay.
Plus side is Feb & March are Council Tax free months - so thats £300 I save to spend on Razor Pr0n.

Do it. Do it. Do it

You know you want to.

I got my razors back from Dave today. Well packed and all in one box.
Some pics via Picasa - included are the before and after shots, bit jumbled up. Links should work on most browsers/OSes and privacy is set to any Tom, Dick and Henrietta.

Fatboy replated to gold:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114359518161826006500/GilletteFatboyQ21960?authuser=0&feat=directlink

New open comb to gold:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114359518161826006500/GilletteNew1930s?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Rocket HD to nickel:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114359518161826006500/GilletteRocketHD?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I'm afraid the camera I used isn't great - a smartphone camera which can't focus on anything within 5cm of it and colour reproduction on the gold razors isn't great either. Hopefully you can see from this and my poor photo skills generally how good the replates are.
I would say the gold in the flesh isn't as vibrant or shiny as that on a vintage Toggle which trainman has kindly lent me and arrived at the same time; however, that's not really a criticism as I asked for gold and got gold and to as far as I can tell a good standard, so I'm happy. I'm particularly pleased with the Rocket as it had a lot of pitting and even some gouges almost, although you can see a bit in the photos after the replate was done it's not much and the finish looks great.

Ooh ooh ooh.

Just sent Dave an email about the rhodium plating. I have a nice fatboy which could look even nicer. Dave sent me back some photos and I have to be honest, this is really, really tempting.

Father Ted, if you send your slim off before I make my mind up, let me know what you think when you get it back. It's too expensive to be just so so. It has to be wow!

I have had my open comb ball-end 'new' replated by Dave in nickel, it has come back today and looks fantastic :) when I bought it it was shabby but after a good scrub it was ready to shave with & gave me a lovely shave.

So i thought it was worth doing as the teeth were in good shape & no cracks in the handle.

Dave is very dedicated and professional with his service, I would recommend him to anyone :)

Rick :icon_razz:[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom