Replating in the UK

I need to keep an eye on my spending.
Already spent about £250 in the few weeks I've been back into this crazy hobby.
Got/about to receive lots of nice things to enjoy for a while:
Gillette Slim Twist Executive
A bunch of recently reviewed blades
Some shaving memorabilia
A nice bunch of vintage blades on the way from the US with some nice soaps
Four La Barbiera shaving soaps
A kilogram of 3P shaving soap
4 Turkish aftershaves
Fatip Piccolo Special Edition

Think this will be enough for a few months.
It is a very deep rabbit hole and easy to get caught up with trying different things!

JJ Shaves was the only UK active replater but I believe he stopped replating recently although the rest of his services are still live.

You may have to bite the bullet and send it to the US: Back Roads Gold or Razor Emporium.

If I recall correctly, Dave @Dave in KY has experience of Back Roads Gold?
It may be worth speaking to JJ Shaves first. Speaking with him recently, i believe he has passed any plating work onto another UK business who specialize in plating work only.

It may be worth speaking to JJ Shaves first. Speaking with him recently, i believe he has passed any plating work onto another UK business who specialize in plating work only.
That's good to know Mark. Thanks for sharing.

I was fortunate to get a few pieces done by JJ a few months ago before he stopped doing it personally.

Back Roads Gold, is the best, fairest and most well-regarded from what I can ascertain. I had some real issues with some of the others a few years back.

Stop it, I've just spent the last 40 mins looking at plating kits.
It started at a £70 kit then I realised it could get very expensive quite quickly. :LOL:

It is a very deep rabbit hole and easy to get caught up with trying different things!
The cat with the hat is correct,

Gotta draw the line somewhere, gosh dang it!

Oh, I did find an Aristo, and crazily enough, I do have one! What're the odds? Only problem is this thing looks about new and would be expensive.

However, I do have a few Diplomats, with one being reasonably priced and in my rotation. NTS, we can talk about those sometime if you like. The less expensive of the two Diplomats is from 1955 and it's the one in the incorrect blue case

I'll just post this group pic to confirm my personal Holy Trinity ( Aristocrat, President, and Diplomat) rabbit hole free fall. All three shave about the same....excellent! Just here to help, that's all.

Attachments

• 20230106_141641.jpg
    20230106_141641.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230106_142205.jpg
    20230106_142205.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230106_142230.jpg
    20230106_142230.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That's good to know Mark. Thanks for sharing.

I was fortunate to get a few pieces done by JJ a few months ago before he stopped doing it personally.
Likewise. I've had three razors high shine nickel plated by him in the past, all to a high standard. I have always felt that JJ did the work ridiculously cheaply....which was great for us but maybe, ultimately, unsustainable in business terms.

Back
Top Bottom