Replace or move on?

Hi all,
I have owned used and loved my Merkur 34C HD Classic for year up until recently dropping it on to a slate floor. the slant bar has been rather damaged and the chrome has come off and therefore no longer gives the fabulous shave it has done for so many years. my question is, should I just replace it or is there something out there that is better?

If it gave you great shaves then I'd say get another one - you can't go wrong with the Merkur HD.

But if you're tempted to get more than one razor and search for something 'better', then there's a world of modern and vintage DEs to sample. That rabbit hole awaits you my friend...

Foredeckninja said:
Hi all,
I have owned used and loved my Merkur 34C HD Classic for year up until recently dropping it on to a slate floor. the slant bar has been rather damaged and the chrome has come off and therefore no longer gives the fabulous shave it has done for so many years. my question is, should I just replace it or is there something out there that is better?

Hi there,

No idea of how many other razors you've tried in the past, although it sounds like you found one with a good fit. Nice going......that can take a while. Fabulous shaves eh?

If you're satisfied with the set up you have now, then just replace the Merkur and done deal. If you'd rather not go through the hassle of trying others in the hope of finding one even more wonderful, that's perfectly understandable. All of us are looking for different things with our shave.

In my case, I used a Gillette slim for six months straight. It was my second razor after trying another adjustable first for a few months. If you woulda asked me, I might have said the slim was the perfect razor for me. Yeah, I was getting some pretty darn good shaves from that thing and really had no desire to sample anything else.

One day I tried a fatboy, and the slim wasn't ever used again. Yeah, it was that much better than the slim, which shocked the heck outta me.

This may be a good time to see what else is out there, Lots of razors to choose from, and you never know till you shave with one how it's gonna work out.

Martin

Martin

Francorelli said:
But if you're tempted to get more than one razor and search for something 'better', then there's a world of modern and vintage DEs to sample. That rabbit hole awaits you my friend...

Hah, I just saw your advice when I got done with my post after yours. Only fair to warn the poor guy about the rabbit hole what ain't got no bottom.

Martin

Thanks for your thoughts chaps. I will be getting myself another 34C.

But the rabbit hole is intriguing and the idea of a vintage DE even more so. Maybe I'll do a little hunting about just for fun.

FDN

Good to hear! I would recommend a Gillette super speed or a Tech as a very good starter vintage DE (low aggression but delivers a good shave, look good, cheap and plentiful, well made and finished). I think most here would say the same. They have gone through variations over the decades but all would be an excellent vintage DE slope to slip down.

dodgy said:
Francorelli said:

Hah, I just saw your advice when I got done with my post after yours. Only fair to warn the poor guy about the rabbit hole what ain't got no bottom.

Martin

Too true Martin, too true. I myself am still slipping and sliding down that cavernous hole. My personal vintage fave is the Red tip Superspeed. But then I've not tried the Fatboy yet...

It would be hard to objectively say any razor is better than a Merkur HD. It's a standard by which other razors are judged. However, ther are shavers that will give a different experience, and some would find them subjectively better.

For example, a Merkur slant bar razor or, for something really different, an Ever Ready/Gem single edge razor. For me, these are better than the HD, but there's only one way to find out for yourself.

Trying new razors to find the best may not be cheap, but it is fun.

Back
Top Bottom