Hello everyone,

I have removed the knot from one of my omega brushes (a 49). I have just realised that all you need to do is to pull :D
I was thinking of getting a synthetic know to replace the lovely boar (which I'll keep as a spare for my other omegas just in case). I have checked the APshaveco synbad, perhaps 28 or 30mm. I have a couple of questions and I hope that someone has the answer for these:
1) What can I use to fille the handle? this is empty inside and I thought maybe it could be worth adding some weight. I saw a video where a guy put in a big screw with bolts, so I may get this in a hardware store but would like to hear if anyone has any other idea before settling on that one.
2) If I get a 28mm know, is the base of the know (ie the plasticky/glue spot at the bottom) 28mm as well or less? I thought I could use a cup to host the knot. For instance, as I'm sure many of you do, I have a little plastic container which I received when I bought some soap samples. The top is attached by way of a lace that can be cut. This sits perfectly in the knot and the board around blocks it, so technically, I could just glue this in the knot and glue the knot in the sample container. Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but I'm looking at performance over aesthetics.

I've uploaded some pictures to help the, not so well written, narrative.

IMG_0083.JPGIMG_0082.JPGIMG_0081.JPGIMG_0080.JPG

Work out the loft want for the brush then you'll know how deep to set the knot. If you want a heavier handle, a few bit's of iron work, stacked coins etc can be glued inside and you could fill any void with something akin to a plaster of paris after they've set.

What's the diameter of the opening in the handle, as that determines what size knot will fit. Here's one I did a while back

Work out the loft want for the brush then you'll know how deep to set the knot. If you want a heavier handle, a few bit's of iron work, stacked coins etc can be glued inside and you could fill any void with something akin to a plaster of paris after they've set.

What's the diameter of the opening in the handle, as that determines what size knot will fit. Here's one I did a while back

Thanks mate. I notice the handle you bought was already filled in so here a bit more work. I can definitely stash and glue some old coins in there and fill the void. The Omega handle diameter is about 38mm. The plastic cup I thought of putting in is about 31mm. Also I noticed you considered the depth when setting the knot. This plastic cup is about 17mm so perhaps this should be enough (?) of if anything I could glues some coins in there as well. I think this should work. Should I go for the 30mm knot then?

Thanks mate. I notice the handle you bought was already filled in so here a bit more work. I can definitely stash and glue some old coins in there and fill the void. The Omega handle diameter is about 38mm. The plastic cup I thought of putting in is about 31mm. Also I noticed you considered the depth when setting the knot. This plastic cup is about 17mm so perhaps this should be enough (?) of if anything I could glues some coins in there as well. I think this should work. Should I go for the 30mm knot then?
Depends what loft you want the brush to have, that's you're end and starting point, work from there and the brush size is for you to work out what you want.

I've often used coins to add some weight/balance. Wine cork fills up quickly, too ... even blown polystyrene that's used for postal packaging. Many a time, I've filled up to the level that I want with epoxy and let it set. Then, any knot I'm fitting needs nothing more than a dab of epoxy with less risk of stuff getting everywhere and/or the knot sinking.

Got some coins aside and some epoxy. I have also thought of throwing some spare bolts in it and glue everything. I will practice once I get the knot
It's best done when you actually have the knot that you want to fit. You can fill up to the level you want and test the knot depth, adding or removing a coin here or there to decide what you like. Once decided, THEN glue the filling material into place and let it set. Dab of epoxy into the filled hole and gently press the knot in (protecting the hair), turning gently to remove bubbles and ensure good adhesion ... as per @wooky114 's video. Too much glue and it'll climb up around the base, soaking the hair and making a right old mess. Planning is the key.

Good luck! Show us results, of course.

It's best done when you actually have the knot that you want to fit. You can fill up to the level you want and test the knot depth, adding or removing a coin here or there to decide what you like. Once decided, THEN glue the filling material into place and let it set. Dab of epoxy into the filled hole and gently press the knot in (protecting the hair), turning gently to remove bubbles and ensure good adhesion ... as per @wooky114 's video. Too much glue and it'll climb up around the base, soaking the hair and making a right old mess. Planning is the key.

Good luck! Show us results, of course.
Thanks, will definitely reread this at the right time and will post pictures...hopefully with good results

As promised, here are the results. Not handsome but it should work. I've filled the handle with pennies glued them together with epoxy. The knot almost didn't fit in the plastic cup but with some pressure and patience, I was able to let it in with no need for epoxy (however, I have glued the cap in the handle). I did not want to set it too deep despite concerns over the overall backbone, as I use the knot as barbers do (i.e. I lather soap/cream in the knot with two fingers and control the knot with the same two fingers so that I can direct it where I want). I Will test this tomorrow. The tips of the know are extremely soft to the touch.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom