Regular / straight leg full cotton lightweight chinos ?

Hello Gents,

Do they still exist ?

All I can find nowadays are either slim fit (which I wouldn’t mind if the leg was straight instead of becoming even slimmer as it goes towards the ankle) or with elastine or polyester, which makes them less breathable and thus not very cool for Summer warmest days…

Anyone else in the same place and if so, have you found anything ?

Thank you and hope you manage to stay a bit cool in this heatwave!

Elastane is creeping in everywhere. What's your budget? Lands End are generally good value, although their 100% cotton chinos are currently £70.00 they can be had as low as £14.00. Oliver Brown has made in England Chinos from £55.00 but they are in a fetching pink. Other colours are more expensive. Cordings have a selection of made in England Chinos too. Their pink Chinos are currently £80.00, and are identical to Oliver Browns...pleated-chinos-pink.jpg

Last edited:
I think that they do still exist, but they are not universally available. I know, because I love Chinos and I have looked for them myself. Only certain shops seem to sell them now, so you need to live somewhere where those shops are located, or be prepared to travel. It's a bit of a postcode lottery, really.

I remember looking for them in ASDA once, and there was a display in the George menswear department clearly labelled "Chinos". My eyes lit up, until I realised that they were just cargo pants, which are NOT Chinos. I HATE cargo pants. I would rather go back to wearing tracksuit bottoms than wear those. And I am no fan of tracksuit bottoms, but I would wear them if I were desperate and if I had no other choice.

Elastane is creeping in everywhere. What's your budget? Lands End are generally good value, although their 100% cotton chinos are currently £70.00 they can be had as low as £14.00. Oliver Brown has made in England Chinos from £55.00 but they are in a fetching pink. Other colours are more expensive. Cordings have a selection of made in England Chinos too. Their pink Chinos are currently £80.00, and are identical to Oliver Browns...View attachment 90762

Budget is around 80 each since I m looking to buy 3 pairs.

Did check Landsend, but keep getting results for “strech“ ones. I guess I must be doing something wrong … Will have a look again.

Budget is around 80 each since I m looking to buy 3 pairs.

Did check Landsend, but keep getting results for “strech“ ones. I guess I must be doing something wrong … Will have a look again.

£22.50 with code: G4PC

£52.50 with code: G4PC

I have no idea why these are still so high. The maximum amount is usually £26.00.

Sabre is the king when it comes to Chinos and Polos.
I also used to get my Chinos from M&S; used to get them a couple of sizes larger so that I could have them retailored to take out the twin front pleats and have single extra deep pleats put in and then have the legs tapered down to around 15½" at the cuffs. Not many wear this style today, but of course it will return in due course.
I totally agree with you in respect of elastan, which I really do not like and makes ironing a complete nightmare, especially if one like a nice crease, which many do not these days.
Sabre also gave me the tip off as to the Lands End Chinos; I purchased a couple of pairs some years' ago at £17.50 a pair; there still awaiting to have the legs tapered as is my style.
Peter Christian may also be worth taking a look at https://www.peterchristian.co.uk/trousers/chino-trousers/ currently they appear to be 2 pairs for £80.00.

I have wanted to buy Chinos or casual trousers in a premium cotton - either Supima or Egyptian, but the German and Italian brands are too expensive. I discovered tonight that Spier & Mckay Chinos are Egyptian cotton. So I ordered 4 pairs from Canada. Hopefully, I don't get caught by customs.

They work out at £35.00 per pair including shipping.

Well seven pairs of chinos have arrived in the last few days. Two discontinued M&S Supima chinos, a Lands End tailored chino, and four Spier and Mckay Egyptian cotton chinos. The Lands End tailored pair are okay, I will definitely stick to the traditional fit in future. The Spier and Mckay are a contemporary fit and are also quite a tailored fitting. I will have to see how they wear after being hemmed. The M&S Supima chinos are very thin...

20220803_204815.jpg
20220803_205126.jpg
20220803_205458.jpg
20220801_181832.jpg

Back
Top Bottom