Refursbished laptops

I bought a refurbed PC from Amazon which was pretty poor so sent it back. Was still out for the postage of a big heavy box.
Ended up building using new motherboard and chip.
Whichever way you go don't forget the backups!

Well, my refurb Dell laptop has finally given up the ghost and I am trying to navigate on Ebay for another refurb. I am no geek so I have to research a lot to try & find what I need. Since I am no gamer nor do I watch movies on one I am relatively in the safe zone. Regardless, the fear of being "rogered roundly" is in the back of my mind.

Well, my refurb Dell laptop has finally given up the ghost and I am trying to navigate on Ebay for another refurb. I am no geek so I have to research a lot to try & find what I need. Since I am no gamer nor do I watch movies on one I am relatively in the safe zone. Regardless, the fear of being "rogered roundly" is in the back of my mind.
In January '20 I bought a refurbished Lenovo T460 off eBay. At the time it was £200. A right piece of kit. My only specification was that it had to have a full HD screen. I have spent £60 on a genuine battery and doubled the RAM. It saw me through the lockdowns where I was working from home and running training sessions via MS Teams for up to 7 hours a day. Prices have rocketed as most folk are homeschooling etc. I'm no techie - I looked for a seller who had good feedback and read a couple of articles online.

I can highly recommend a Lenovo business class laptop. Coincidentally, I was looking at this thread last night, and all over eBay with a view of buying another one for my daughter. Like razors, another rabbit hole once you start researching and viewing refurbished kit.

I am still only buying new Thinkpads for my business of 50 employees.
There were some changes and I stopped buying directly from Lenovo due to low stock since the the beginning of the year.

Based on recommendation here Instead started to use Laptop Direct which gives us a fantastic service.

We closed the physical office and declared WFH permanently so distributing laptops in a timely manner became a primary requirement, something LD do very well.

I say avoid the L series Thinkpads in 14" and 15" as they are not as durable. Find yourself an E , T and P series as these are are very good.

Generally their Drivers management system 'Vantage' is working well without a fuss and charging via USB C chargers seems to be sorted now.

Do you know why your refurb Dell Laptop has given up the ghost? If it's something like a hard drive failure or the RAM.

I'd recommend Lenovo and Dell ex office laptops from eBay sellers who have good after sales service.

Do you know why your refurb Dell Laptop has given up the ghost? If it's something like a hard drive failure or the RAM.

I'd recommend Lenovo and Dell ex office laptops from eBay sellers who have good after sales service.

Got my eye on one as I type.

On mine the battery has been toast and now it won't hold anything. Perhaps the connection is worn out as well. I don't want to pay for a repair as that's akin to a boob job on a 90 yr. old woman at this point. :cry:

Got my eye on one as I type.

On mine the battery has been toast and now it won't hold anything. Perhaps the connection is worn out as well. I don't want to pay for a repair as that's akin to a boob job on a 90 yr. old woman at this point. :cry:

Have you tried a replacement battery? I'm not sure what model you have but there are replacement Dell batteries on UK Ebay from about $20.

No idea how much they are in the States, but it could make more sense to save those funds for your next laptop.

I'm also looking Dell business laptops - do you have any experience of model types? A colleague recommended looking at the latitude series.

I'm also looking Dell business laptops - do you have any experience of model types? A colleague recommended looking at the latitude series.

My research says that Latitude is the one to buy. Made for hard business use. Just make sure it has either Windows 10 or 10 Pro and is not "OS".

Donnie, it's on a 2nd battery now. I really think the connection is shot as it's loose as a goose. That requires removing a million screws and then hoping it's detachable and not needing a motherboard solder from what I read.

Time to upgrade. I only paid $80 U.S. for it and it has lasted approx 3 yrs.

I have three Dell Latitudes, two 7440s and a smaller 7240, all a pleasure to use. The 7240 runs CloudReady, an open-source ChromiumOS, while the 7440s run my work fedora Linux and Windows 10 machines. I have substantially newer hardware supplied by work (a Lenovo ... spit), but much prefer my Latitudes.

Great machines ... but as with all older laptop hardware, the batteries are ripe for replacement. Easy to remove on the Dell Latitude, just slide a clip across and the battery pops off. Underneath where the battery sites, just two screws need removing to access all the internals - easy to add a second SSD drive into the optional SSD/WLAN slot.

Worth mentioning is my old HP ... in fact, two old(er) HPs, both of which developed issues in the power supply pack that caused the RCD to trip repeatedly. Never again.

Back
Top Bottom